640,000 CUBIC YARDS of sand have been added to Avalon’s north-end beaches, according to a recent update on the beach replenishment project. About 300,000 cubic yards remain to be added during this phase of the project. After that, work will shift to the south-end of Avalon and north-end of Stone Harbor for the project’s final portion. The project is expected to conclude about June 20th, subject to weather and mechanical delays.
Blue skies and gentle breezes made for a great beach day earlier this week. There’s more great weather ahead!
THIS WEEKEND brings an array of activities to the Island to help jump start your summer season. In Avalon you’ll find the Wine & Spirits Festival, a Borough-Wide Yard Sale, and flower and hoagie sales at the Fire Department. Stone Harbor adds the Garden Club’s Plant and Bake Sale as well as the Wetlands Institute’s Native Plant Sale. See our list of upcoming events below for more!
THE TOWNSEND’S INLET BRIDGE is still undergoing repairs. The bridge contractor has been working to restore traffic flow, but instead of reopening for Memorial Day Weekend, traffic on the bridge may be limited to one lane. The emergency repair work began after an April underwater inspection revealed a crack in the bridge structure.
HENNY’S TO BE DEMOLISHED: The building that housed Henny’s Restaurant is slated to be torn down the week of May 15th. Henny’s closed in 2008, after operating its Third Avenue location since the 1930s. Third Avenue from 96th Street to 97th Street will be closed to through traffic, and parking restrictions will be in place, to ensure safety during the demolition process. Stay tuned for more on the future of the site!
STREET OPENING MORATORIUMS currently exist in Avalon and Stone Harbor to prevent newly paved streets from being “opened” for new utility connections for a period of five years after paving. Stone Harbor is considering increasing the moratorium period to seven or ten years, in order to extend the lifespan of newly paved streets. The Cape May County Herald reported that seven years seemed to be the more likely choice. Read the Herald article here:
HOUSE PORTRAITS by Lisa Cunningham capture the essence of your home, allowing you to display your pride & joy! They also make a special gift for any homeowner! Check out her work at www.lisacunninghamfineart.
An example of Lisa Cunningham’s great work!
BLACK BEAR LACROSSE returns to Avalon again this year with a camp from July 3rd to July 7th. From fundamentals to advanced training, campers ages 4 through 14 will receive daily instruction while scrimmaging and participating in contests. Check out the camp at: https://blackbearlax.com/
- Avalon Historical Society Photography Contest and Exhibit, visit www.avalonhistorycenter.
org for info, photos will be on display throughout the month, contest runs now through the month of May
- Avalon’s Bulk Pick-up, items to curb now through May 14 with pick-up on Monday, May 15
- Avalon Wine & Spirits Festival, 200 wines & spirits, hors d’oeuvres by island restaurants, silent auction, music, go to www.visitavalonnj.com for info, Avalon’s Community Hall, 6:30PM, Friday, May 12
- Avalon’s paper shredding day, Firehouse hoagie & flower sale, Bicycle auction, Lions Club yard sale, www.avalonboro.net for info, Saturday, May 13
- Avalon Yard Sale, map pickup at 8AM at Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, May 13
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Plant and Bake Sale, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-1PM, Saturday, May 13
- Cops and Coffee Event with the Avalon police, Pudgie Pelican Restaurant, 9AM, Saturday, May 13
- Wetlands Institute Native Plant Sale, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday
& Sunday, May 13 & 14
- Stone Harbor’s Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior to pick up on Monday, May 15
- Bishop McHugh’s 17th Annual Golf Tournament, Stone Harbor Golf Club, www.bishopmchugh.com for info, 11AM, Friday, May 19
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, Women’s Civic Club on 96th Street, 8AM-2PM,
Saturday, May 20
- Mayor’s Cup Bocce Tournament and Avalon Borough’s 125th Anniversary Celebration, www.
avalonrecreation.org for info, ceremony at 9:30AM, Mayor’s Cup and activities at 10AM, Saturday, May 20
- Wetlands Institute Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, www.
wetlandsinstitute.org for info, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, May 20 & 21
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, May 21
- Avalon Garden Club Fashion Show & Luncheon, Avalon Yacht Club, 11:30AM, Wednesday, May 24
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, 95th Street & the beach, 9:30AM, Friday, May 26
- 15th Annual Turtle Trot 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 95th Street & First Avenue, 6:45AM registration,
8AM race, 8:05AM fun walk, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor’s Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor Property Owners Association General Membership Meeting, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, 9AM, Saturday, June 10
- NFIP Flood Insurance Seminar, bring your flood elevation certificate for a free review, Stone Harbor Library, www.stoneharborbeach.
com for info, 1-3PM, Saturday, June 17
535 Old Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $129,000, SOLD MLS#: 175288
66 E. 20th Street, Avalon, $622,000, SOLD MLS#: 175295
3249 Ocean Drive, North Side, Avalon, $720,000, SOLD MLS#: 174521
1249 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $1,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 172969
395 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 175231
286 69th Street, Avalon, $1,585,000, SOLD MLS#: 172443
10607 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $2,325,000, SOLD MLS#: 174951
137 105th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 174640