MARKET STATS: Strong demand led to 42 sales in the month of April, up 31% over last April according to the latest Market Minute report from Long & Foster. Available inventory has continued to decline as sales have whittled down the number of active listings. For a look at this month’s report, click here: http://marketminute.
Click above for the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report!
BEACH PROJECT ADVANCING: last week beach replenishment operations ended on Avalon’s north-end beaches, and the project transitioned to its final phase in southern Avalon and northern Stone Harbor. During this part of the project a submerged pipeline will carry sand pumped from Townsend’s Inlet beneath the ocean, before returning to a landing zone on the 84th Street beach. About 305,000 cubic yards of sand will be added to beaches from 77th Street to 84th Street. As work progresses, sections of beach will be closed during pumping, which will take place 24 hours a day, stopping only in the event of weather or mechanical issues. The beach project is ahead of schedule, though a mechanical failure aboard the dredge Texas slowed progress earlier this week.
LAST CHANCE TO SAVE on season beach tag purchases! Buy your season beach tags by May 31st and save $5 each. On June 1st the cost of a season tag rises from $23 to $28 in Avalon and Stone Harbor. In Avalon, tags can be purchased at the beach tag booth at Community Hall at 30th Street & the beach. In Stone Harbor they can be purchased at the beach tag office at 95th Street & the beach.
THE TOWNSEND’S INLET BRIDGE will not open to vehicular traffic Memorial Day Weekend, as was once hoped. Repairing the underwater bridge support structure has proved difficult in the challenging conditions of Townsend’s Inlet, including deep, swift moving water. Rock rip rap, placed underwater during a 1962 repair to the bridge, had to be removed to gain access, before a trio of steel piles can be driven into place and fastened to the structure. Work is being conducted from floating platforms adjacent to the bridge.
IT’S TURTLE TIME AGAIN! Soon diamondback terrapins will be seeking higher ground to lay eggs, and that means they’re often seen on local roads. Give ‘em a brake! Slow down and avoid hitting turtles crossing the road. If you wish to help a turtle, be sure to move it across the road in the same direction it was travelling, and be sure to stay safe by checking for traffic before entering the roadway!
THE BLUE ANGELS will be in Millville Saturday & Sunday
THANK A VETERAN FOR THEIR SERVICE THIS WEEKEND! As you enjoy a walk on the beach, an afternoon on the deck, or a barbecue with family, take a moment to remember the veterans who made it possible!
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, 95th Street & the beach, 9:30AM, Friday, May 26
- Stone Harbor Library Grand Opening, 9516 Second Avenue, 11AM, Friday, May 26
- Annual Turtle Trot 5K Run & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 95th Street & First Avenue, 6:45AM registration, 8
AM race, 8:05AM fun walk, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor’s Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 28
- Matthew Mullen Memorial 5K Beach Run/Walk, 30th Street Beach, 8:30AM, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Guided Tour, meet at Egret Espy Path at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10-11AM, Sunday, May 28
- Avalon Memorial Day Parade, 32nd Street & Dune Drive kick off at 9AM, proceeds north along Dune Drive to Veteran’s Plaza at 21st & Dune Drive for ceremony of remembrance at 9:30AM, visit www.avalonboro.net for info, Monday, May 29
- Memorial Service for Fallen Heroes, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 11AM, Monday, May 29
- 7 Mile Island American Legion Post Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony, parade starts at 96th Street Bridge, down 96th Street to Women’s Civic Club at the Beach for a remembrance ceremony, Noon-1PM, Monday, May 29
- American Legion Post #331 Memorial Day Open House, 11617 Second Avenue, 1PM, Monday, May 29
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Annual Tour of Homes, call 609-313-2460 for tickets, 12:30-4PM, Saturday, June 3
- APAC concert featuring ‘The British Invasion Years,’ visit www.
avalonperformingarts.org for details, Avalon Community Hall, 6:30PM, Saturday, June 3
- Stone Harbor’s Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 4
- 7 Mile Restaurant Week, island wide specials at many restaurants, visit www.visitavalonnj.com
for details, Monday, June 5 through Sunday, June 11
- Stone Harbor Property Owners Association General Membership Meeting, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, social at 8AM, meeting at 8:30AM, Saturday, June 10
- Avalon Garden Club Flower Show, Avalon Community Hall, Noon-4PM, Saturday, June 10
- NFIP Flood Insurance Seminar, bring your flood elevation certificate for a free review, Stone Harbor Library, www.stoneharborbeach.
com for info, 1-3PM, Saturday, June 17
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Strawberry Festival, 95th Street & Third Avenue, 6PM-8PM, Sunday, June 18
7929 Dune Drive, Unit 107, Avalon, $279,000, SOLD MLS#: 171885
223 35th Street, Avalon, $980,000, SOLD MLS#: 175486
2422 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 175200
171 35th Street, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 171528