JULY 4TH WEEKEND is always a big one at the beach, and this year many are making a four-day weekend of it. Two big fireworks shows are planned this year. Stone Harbor will put on its fireworks display Sunday, July 2nd at the 96th Street beach at dusk. Avalon’s fireworks display will take place on Tuesday, July 4th on the 30th Street beach at dusk. Numerous other activities are planned all weekend, with some beginning as early as Thursday evening. See below for a list of events!
TURTLE TIME! Yes, it’s still the season for diamondback terrapin turtles to cross local roads as they seek higher ground on which to lay eggs. Turtle barriers along some roadways help reduce the number of turtles killed by vehicles, but numerous deaths still occur. Volunteers are often able to harvest unhatched eggs, incubate them, and then release the baby turtles once they are large enough to survive in the wild. You can help out by slowing down and avoiding turtles crossing the road. If you stop to help a turtle across the road, carefully move it in the direction it was going, and be sure to watch out for other vehicle traffic.
Turtles are everywhere at this time of year—including kids’ crab traps! This one stopped to snack on a bunker, commonly used as bait for crabs. The turtle was immediately released unharmed.
GOOD FISHING REPORTS continue to come in. Flounder continue to be caught in large numbers in the bays and inlets, with many sizable keepers being reported. Offshore tuna action has started with yellowfin tuna being caught in the canyons and some inshore lumps. Surf fishermen have also reported good action on beaches and jetties.
LOCAL FIREFIGHTERS had a busy Sunday afternoon. A car fire broke out in Avalon on 19th Street, destroying the car and damaging an adjacent home. In Wildwood Crest a Bayfront home caught fire, and flames spread to the home next door. Both fires sent plumes of black smoke into the air, and were visible up and down the beach.
ROCKY THE SIBERIAN TIGER was euthanized last weekend at the Cape May County Zoo, at age 16. Rocky was born in 2001 and sent to the Cape May County Zoo and became a media favorite, appearing on morning television shows and in the New York Times. In 2014 he battled cancer and multiple surgeries, but it was the failure of his hips and hind legs recently that led to his demise. Rocky was among the most recognizable animals at the Cape May County Zoo, having been a resident his entire life. There are dozens of other magnificent animals at the Zoo—one of Cape May County’s treasures! The Zoo is free; a donation is requested.
IMAGINE HOW MUCH FUN IT WOULD BE to have your own place at the shore! Make memories—every weekend! If you’re ready to begin your search for the perfect shore home, call or email me today. Whether you’re looking for a getaway condo, a rental property, or your own palace on the beach, I’ll listen to your needs and help you find the right place!
- Thursdays on Dune, activities start at 5:30PM throughout Avalon’s business district, concert featuring the 63rd Army Band starts at 7PM at Veteran’s Plaza, Thursday, June 29
- Avalon Field Races & Family Fun, 10th Street Field, 10AM, Saturday, July 1
- Harbor Hustle 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, Stone Harbor Recreation Field, 6:45AM registration, 8A
M race, 8:05 fun walk, Sunday, July 2
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, July 2
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, July 2
- Lutheran Church of Our Saviour Chicken BBQ, 9212 Third Avenue, 5-7PM, Sunday, July 2
- Stone Harbor Independence Day Celebration, live music at 95th Street Beach Pavilion, 7-9PM, fireworks at 9:30PM, Sunday, July 2
- Mummers Band Parade, Avalon Community Hall to Veterans Plaza, 6PM, Monday, July 3
- Avalon Beach Movie featuring ‘Star Wars Rogue One,’ 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Monday, July 3
- Stone Harbor Recreation July 4 Field Day, races at 9AM, Home Run Derby at 10AM, Stone Harbor Recreation Field, Tuesday, July 4
- Beach Concert featuring Andrew Jude, 30th Street Beach, 1-3PM, Tuesday, July 4
- Avalon Independence Day Celebration, 30th Street Parking Lot, 6-8PM, Tuesday, July 4
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Tuesday, July 4
- Avalon Fireworks, off the 30th Street Beach, 8:45PM, Tuesday, July 4
- Thursdays on Dune concert featuring 40 North, activities throughout Avalon’s business district from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, July 6
- Thursdays on the Lawn concert featuring Jim Bannach, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, July 6
- CONTACT Cape-Atlantic 5 Mile Run, Avalon Community Hall, 8am, Saturday, July 8
- Big Band Dance featuring Walt Wagner & The Serenaders, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, July 8
- Stone Harbor Fitness Challenge & 5K, 82nd Street complex, www.7milesports.com
for info, 6:45AM registration, 8AM race followed by field challenge, Sunday, July 9
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, July 9
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, July 9
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the ‘Al Harrison Dixieland Band,’ proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, July 9
460 Avalon Blvd., Avalon Manor, $155,000, SOLD MLS#: 175222
10007 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $338,500, SOLD MLS#: 173614
2198 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $675,000, SOLD MLS#: 174902
1116 Stone Harbor Blvd., #204, Stone Harbor Manor, $779,000, SOLD MLS#: 170594
623 21st Street, West Unit, Avalon, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 174186
2400 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 173170
241 107th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,805,000, SOLD MLS#: 170892