MARKET STATS: The ratio of sold prices to list prices increased by 4% in June in the Avalon-Stone Harbor market versus the same month last year, while the number of new listings was down 33% versus last year. The number of units sold last month increased slightly from a year ago. For a detailed look at the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report, click here: http://marketminute.
DOLPHINS EVERYWHERE! Lots of dolphin sightings have been reported just off Avalon & Stone Harbor beaches. Sometimes playing just beyond the surf, and sometimes a bit further off the beach, dolphins routinely travel up and down the beaches. Occasionally they’ll venture into the inlets or even the back bays, if following a food source. Whether you’re spotting them from the beach or from a boat, they’re always a joy to see!
Several pods of dolphins swam along Seven Mile Beach last Sunday. This pod was seen off the 96th Street beach.
“SORRY CAPTAIN, the bridge can’t be opened for a couple of days!” That’s the answer boat captains heard this past Sunday when a critical part on the 96th Street Bridge failed, leaving the bridge “stuck” in the closed position. Automobile traffic could flow freely, but boats needing an opening couldn’t get one. The only choice? Take “the long way” around via the ocean. At the time of this writing, new parts were on order and expected to be installed this week, returning the bridge to normal operation. There has been significant discussion about Cape May County bridges recently. The Townsend’s Inlet Bridge was closed to automobile traffic earlier this season while it underwent emergency repairs, and the Grassy Sound Bridge (linking North Wildwood to Nummy Island and eventually Stone Harbor via Ocean Drive) doesn’t open for boat traffic during hot weather due to mechanical issues. Combined with the 96th Street Bridge, that’s three bridges surrounding Seven Mile Island with issues. Replacement of even a single bridge is extraordinarily expensive, but last week county freeholders discussed potentially issuing an $18 million bond, including $8 million for local bridge work.
TAKE A RIDE INTO YESTERYEAR! Historic Cold Spring Village features its annual “Railroad Days” this weekend. Visitors will find working model trains, garden railways, and railroad displays. Just added to the event are historic railroad motorcars, often known as “speeders”, which will take patrons for a short ride along the historic railroad tracks adjacent to Cold Spring Village. The tracks once carried steam trains from Philadelphia and Camden into Cape May, and served as the main method of transportation to and from Cape May County’s seashore towns for decades. Cape May Seashore Lines will run the trips, which will depart every 30 minutes from 11am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday, July 22nd and 23rd. Speeder car tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for kids. (Patrons must purchase tickets for entrance to Historic Cold Spring Village, which are $12 for adults and $10 for kids.)
Visit Historic Cold Spring Village for “Railroad Days” and take a ride on a “speeder car” this weekend!
AVALON LIFEGUARD Erich Wolf took first place in the 49th Annual Beschen-Callahan Lifeguard Championships in North Wildwood. Thanks to Wolf’s first place finish, Avalon finished in a three way tie for the team championship. After a tiebreaker Avalon finished second overall. Congratulations to Wolf and all Avalon lifeguards!
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Legendary Bar Busters, family friendly activities throughout Avalon’s business district from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, July 20
- Thursdays on the Lawn concert featuring The Quietmen, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, July 20
- Lecture by George A. Pagano, II, Rowing Across the Atlantic, Avalon Free Public Library, 7PM, Friday, July 21
- Avalon Historical Society Clam Shell Competition, 30th Street beach, www.
avalonhistorycenter.org for details, 9AM, Saturday, July 22
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at the Egret Espy Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday, July 22
- Santa Visits His Summer Home in Stone Harbor, town-wide activities with Santa & Mrs. Claus, www.stoneharborbeach.
com for details, Sunday, July 23 through Saturday, July 29
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, July 23
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, July 23
- Avalon Aware Lecture by Dr. Stewart Farrell, The Evolution of Avalon’s Beaches for the Past 30 Years, Avalon Free Public Library, 7PM, Monday, July 24
- Family Fun Night at the Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7-7:45PM, Monday, July 24
- Tuesdays at the Tower, concert featuring Dead Reckoning, Stone Harbor’s Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, July 25
- Avalon’s Beach Movie featuring Moana, 30th Street & the Beach, dusk, Tuesday, July 25
- Summer Author Series with Sally Mott Freeman, ‘The Jersey Brothers: A Missing Naval Officer in the Pacific and His Family’s Quest to Bring Him Home,’ Avalon Free Public Library, 7PM, Wednesday, July 26
- Stone Harbor Museum Summer Lecture Series featuring Jim Talone & Jamie Hand, ‘Ben Franklin and the Cape May Mitten Trade,’ 7PM, Wednesday, July 26
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring BLT Orchestra, family friendly activities throughout Avalon’s business district from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, July 27
- Thursdays on the Lawn concert featuring Eddie’s Mom, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, July 27
- International Tiger Day at the Cape May County Zoo, tiger related activities & keeper talks, www.cmczoo.com for info, 10AM-3PM, Saturday, July 29
- Brendan Borek 7th Annual Low Tide Beach Ride, registration online at https://ltbr.ticketleap.
com/ltbr2017/ 9th Street & the Beach, 6:30PM, Saturday, July 29
- Avalon Aware Lecture by Tom Thornton, An Overview of the New FEMA Flood Maps for Avalon, Avalon Free Public Library, 7PM, Monday, July 31
351 96th St., #103, Stone Harbor, $245,500, SOLD MLS#: 168155
7929 Dune Drive, Unit 102, Avalon, $272,000, SOLD MLS#: 170802
263 27th Street, Avalon, $969,000, SOLD MLS#: 175359
36 W. 22nd Street Street, Avalon, $1,295,000, SOLD MLS#: 176432
9411 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $1,640,000, SOLD MLS#: 174245
131 21st Street, Avalon, $2,165,000, SOLD MLS#: 174757
7 86th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 173754