STONE HARBOR’S “FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS” Boat Parade returns this Saturday. Boats of all shapes and sizes will be decorated with lights and will parade along Stone Harbor’s bayfront from 8pm to 10pm. Between the lights, on board music, and dancing crew members it’s quite a sight! If you don’t have a bayfront home to watch from, the parade can be viewed from the 83rd Street pier, the 81st Street Municipal Marina, or any bayfront street end. If you’re travelling into or out of Stone Harbor that evening, beware that the 96th Street Bridge will open several times before, during, and after the parade to allow boat traffic to pass through. To avoid delays, use Avalon Boulevard or North Wildwood Boulevard.
KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY this month as two “don’t miss” events take place. From August 11th to August 14th, the annual Perseid meteor shower occurs in the northeastern sky during overnight hours. Views of the meteors are expected to be limited this year by the moon’s bright light. Even in good viewing areas away from light pollution, observers may only see around 10-20 meteors per hour, down from as many as 60 per hour during peak viewing conditions in other years. The month’s big event occurs several days later on August 21st when we’ll experience a solar eclipse. A swath of the country will experience “totality,” but in our area the sun will be about 75% obscured. On, Monday, August 14th at 7:30pm the South Jersey Astronomy Club will hold a talk at the Avalon Library discussing the upcoming eclipse.
CHECK YOUR SUMMER BUCKET LIST! It’s August! Don’t let the summer slip away without taking some time for your “Summer Bucket List!” Watch a sunrise on the beach; take your grandchild fishing; rent a Waverunner; try a new restaurant; play miniature golf with the family. Whatever is on your list, set aside the time and do it!
Smooth sailing! Two Hobie cats sail along the beach on a beautiful summer day!
SEE AVALON & STONE HARBOR from a unique perspective in this 5 minute aerial video! Ride along and look for your house or your favorite beach! https://www.youtube.
HEREFORD INLET LIGHTHOUSE has guided mariners along the South Jersey coast since the late 19th century, and it still shines brightly today. On Monday, August 7th, you can tour it for free as part of National Lighthouse Day. Get a glimpse of what life was like for a lightkeeper over one hundred years ago. On the grounds surrounding the lighthouse you’ll find beautiful gardens and flowers. The lighthouse is open 9am to 4:15pm, with a ceremony to take place at 11am. Visit http://www.
HOW ABOUT MAKING IT PERMANENT? If you love Avalon & Stone Harbor, why not make it permanent? If you’re ready for your own shore retreat, call or email me today! Whether you’re looking for rental income, a small getaway, or a large waterfront home, I’ll help you find the perfect place!
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Eleven-Eleven, family friendly activities throughout Avalon’s business district from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, August 3
- Avalon Players Perform “Beauty and the Beast Jr.”, Avalon Elementary School, www.avalonplayers.org
for info, 7PM, Thursday, August 3 through Saturday, August 5
- Thursdays on the Lawn concert featuring Bob Campanell, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, August 3
- Stone Harbor 55th Annual Arts & Crafts Festival, Stone Harbor Recreation Field at 8100 Second Avenue, 9AM-5PM on Saturday, August 5 & 9AM-4PM on Sunday, August 6
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at the Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday, August 5
- Big Band Dance featuring the Philadelphia Mojo Kings, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, August 5
- Stone Harbor Yacht Club’s Festival of Lights Boat Parade, www.ycsh.org for info, boats assemble at Yacht Club at 7:30PM, parade begins at Pleasure Bay at 8PM, Saturday, August 5
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, August 6
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, August 6
- Avalon Players Performance, Avalon Elementary School, www.avalonplayers.org
for info, 5PM, Sunday, August 6
- Family Fun Night at the Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7-7:45PM, Monday, August 7
- Avalon’s Beach Movie featuring ‘Finding Dory,’ 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Tuesday, August 8
- Author Lecture featuring bestselling author, Meg Donohue, Avalon Public Library, 7PM, Wednesday, August 9
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Jersey Sound, activities throughout downtown Avalon from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, August 10
- Cape Regional Home & Health Show, Avalon Elementary School, 9AM-2PM, Saturday, August 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Annual Meeting featuring Avalon Mayor Marty Pagluighi & County Engineer Dale Foster, Avalon Community Hall, refreshments at 9:30AM, meeting at 10AM, Saturday, August 12
- Stone Harbor’s Go Green Fair, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, August 12
- Cape Regional Designer House Tour, 609-463-4040 for info & tickets, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, August 12
- Summer Club Concert Sounds of Sinatra, Avalon Community Hall, 8PM, Saturday, August 12
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of South Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, August 13, 2017
177 80th St., C-202, Avalon, $275,000, SOLD MLS#: 169483
7929 Dune Drive, Avalon, $305,000, SOLD MLS#: 175601
1116 Stone Harbor Blvd., #203, Stone Harbor Manor, $712,000, SOLD MLS#: 176584
262 26th Street, Avalon, $969,000, SOLD MLS#: 176426
2658 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 176167
989 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 176044
35 E. 12 Street, Avalon, $1,947,500, SOLD MLS#: 172524
444 22nd Street, Avalon, $2,375,000, SOLD MLS#: 176600