EVERYONE WAS LOOKING UP! Monday afternoon nearly everyone who was outside was wearing a pair of eclipse glasses and looking up! From the beach to the shopping districts to private decks, everybody took a break from what they were doing in order to get a look at the solar eclipse. Clouds moved in and out, but generally Cape May County had a great view!
Monday’s solar eclipse could be seen from Cape May County!
BEACH SAND varies from island to island along the New Jersey coast. Ever wonder why? It’s a mix of factors, including geology, weather & wave action, and even beach replenishment projects. For a look at how these factors can affect the make up of beach sand, see this article: http://www.newsworks.org/
THE MIDATLANTIC Fishing Tournament is underway this week, as boats from as far away as Florida and Texas compete with other anglers out of Canyon Club Marina in Cape May. This year 151 boats are chasing a total purse of $3,147,120. So far a number of white marlin have been caught and released, and a lesser number of blue marlin have been caught and released.
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS SHORE TOUR: Several 76ers will make appearances at the teams 2017 Summer Shore Tour this weekend. In addition to stops in Ocean City and Diamond Beach, number 1 draft pick Markelle Fultz and teammate Robert Covington will be at the Stone Harbor Recreation Center at 82nd Street from 3pm to 6pm on Saturday, August 26th, where they will sign autographs and interact with fans. Admission is free, or fans can purchase $20 or $25 all access passes. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Sixers Youth Foundation.
MOTORCARS in Cape May! The Cape May Seashore Lines will be running motorcar excursions in Cape May over Labor Day Weekend. The motorcars will depart from Cape May station on the hour from 10am to 3pm, Saturday and Sunday, September 2nd and 3rd. The ride will traverse historic tracks that once carried steam powered passenger trains into Cape May on a regular basis. The rails travel through lesser-known portions of Cape May, and provide a unique perspective on the wildlife, wetlands, and history of Cape May County. The motorcars will stop at the railroad swing bridge that crosses the Cape May Canal, before returning to Cape May Station. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for kids 12 and under, and will be available for purchase on the station platform beginning at 9:30am.
- Stone Harbor Library Movie Night featuring The Jungle Book, 5:30PM, Thursday, August 24
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Jumper, family friendly activities throughout Avalon’s business district from 5:30PM, concert at Veteran’s Plaza at 7PM, Thursday, August 24
- American Legion Post #331 Pancake Breakfast, 11625 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, 8-11AM, Saturday, August 26
- Stone Harbor’s Sidewalk Sale, sales & deals throughout the downtown shopping district, 9AM-7PM, Saturday, August 26
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday, August 26
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail Entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, August 27
- Wildwood’s Restaurant Week, Sunday, August 27 – Friday, September 1
- Family Fun Night at the Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7-7:45PM, Monday, August 28
- Tuesdays at the Tower, concert featuring The Seabillys, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, August 29
- Stone Harbor 2nd Annual Kings & Queens of the Clay Tennis Tournament, tennis courts at 8100 Second Avenue, www.
StoneHarborRecreation.com or 6 09-368-1210 for info, Saturday, September 2
- Stone Harbor 1st Annual Summer Finale Pickleball Tournament, 8100 Second Avenue, www.
StoneHarborRecreation.com or 368-1210 for info, Saturday & Sunday, September 2nd & 3rd
- Full Moon Climb at the Cape May Lighthouse, call 609-884-5404 for info, 8-10PM, Wednesday, September 6
- Big Band Dance featuring Marilyn and the Monroes, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, September 9
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce End of Summer Shop Hop, Avalon Shopping District, www.visitavalon.nj.
com for info, Saturday, September 9 & Sunday, September 10
- Stone Harbor 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, Freedom Park at 96th Street & Seng Place, 11AM-1PM, Monday, September 11
- 22nd Annual Nun’s Beach Surf Contest, 111th Street beach in Stone Harbor, 7AM, Saturday, September 16
- Author Lecture featuring Jerry Beebe, author of ‘The Backdoor Curve’, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, September 16
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Ben Mauger’s Vintage Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern NJ, 2-4PM, Sunday, September 17
206 110th, 2nd Floor Street, Stone Harbor, $500,000, SOLD MLS#: 176682
3108 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 175668
170 113 Street, Stone Harbor, $1,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 176848
168 28th Street, Avalon, $1,875,000, SOLD MLS#: 177692
4738 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $2,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 173542
8801 First Ave., Stone Harbor, $2,310,000, SOLD MLS#: 173715