AVALON’S SEAFOOD FESTIVAL, a fall favorite, returns this weekend! Enjoy a variety of seafood, local beer and wines, a chowder contest, crafts, art, music, photography, and live-streamed college and NFL games. The festival takes place Saturday & Sunday, October 7th & 8th, 10am to 5pm, at 30th Street & the beach in Avalon.
A fisherman tries his luck in back bay waters on a beautiful fall afternoon. Stone Harbor Boulevard is in the background.
MONARCH BUTTERFLIES are making their passage southward through Cape May County, and have been spotted in large numbers resting on trees, shrubs, and dunes. Monarchs will likely be seen in the area for another week or so, as they make their way to their winter destination in Mexico.
OCTOBER 1ST marks the date when many “No Turn on Red” restrictions are lifted at various intersections on the Island, along with the removal of parking meters, and some traffic lights are switched into “blinker mode.” The slower pace of the off season brings a variety of benefits for those driving & parking on the Island!
NEW YELLOW PLASTIC GAS MAINS will be installed along Ocean Drive from 62nd Street to 27th Street, with additional installations to occur along numerous side streets in that area. Work will begin on or about October 9th, and is to be completed by April 2018. Lane closures will occur, but property owners will have access to their properties at all times.
“WALTER” JOINS THE CAPE MAY COUNTY ZOO! Walter is a 6-month-old male Bactrian camel with two humps, and joins his “cousin” Marty, a Dromedary camel which has one hump. Welcome, Walter! The zoo is open daily and admission is free—donations are appreciated, however.
SPOOKY LIGHTHOUSE TOUR – Shipwrecks, Shoals, and Souls: Set sail as a foot passenger on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry October 13th through 15th for a nautical tour with a spooky twist. Passengers will ride across the Delaware Bay to Lewes, then board the Cape Water Taxi for a tour of Lewes Harbor and the 130 year old East End Lighthouse. Members of the Lewes Historical Society in period dress will tell tales of shipwrecks from the perspective of captains, passengers, and survivors. For more information or tickets, click here: https://www.cmlf.com/
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, for info call 609-884-5404, 8PM-10PM,
Thursday, October 5
- Slither & Snore Sleepover at the Cape May County Zoo, nocturnal tour of the zoo, campfire, s’mores, crafts, continental breakfast, call 609-465-5271 for info, Friday, October 6 at 6PM until Saturday, October 7 at 9AM
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce Seafood Festival, local food vendors, chowder contest, beer, wine, music, crafts, more, 30th Street Parking Lot, 10AM-5PM, Saturday &
Sunday, October 7 & 8
- AAZK Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, after hours tour of the zoo, for reservations & tickets visit https://www.eventbrite.
com/e/night-walk-at-the-zoo- tickets-38052864141?aff=es2 up to two weeks prior to the event, Saturday, October 7
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Fashion Show, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, for info email firstname.lastname@example.org,
Sunday, October 8
- Cape May Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities, Distinguished Lecture Series featuring Admiral Thad W. Allen (US Coast Guard, Retired), topic is Always Ready: Stories of American Leadership & Unity During Crisis, order tickets online at www.capemaymac.org, Cape May Convention Hall, 4PM, Sunday, October 8
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior to pick up on Tuesday, October 10
- Scan Party at the Avalon History Center, bring your old Avalon photos & they’ll send you home with digital copies & with your permission they will keep a digital copy at the History Center for addition to the town’s permanent record, 1-3PM, Saturday, October 14
- Big Band Dance featuring the Fred Hall Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, October 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Al Harrison Dixieland Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, October 15
- Avalon Lions Club Pasta Night, Windrift Hotel, 4:30-7:30PM, Sunday, October 15
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, Volunteers Needed, Avalon Community Hall, 8:30AM, Saturday, October 21 (Rain Date is Sunday, October 22)
- Miss Avalon Pageant, Avalon Elementary School, 6PM, Saturday, October 21
- AAZK Adults Only Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, after hours tour of the zoo, for reservations & tickets visit https://www.eventbrite.
com/e/adults-only-night-walk- at-the-zoo-tickets- 38053100849?aff=es2 up to two weeks prior to the event, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, October 21
- Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey, statewide festival challenge to visit 11 lighthouses including Hereford Inlet Lighthouse & Cape May Lighthouse, visitwww.lhchallengenj.org for info, Saturday, October 21 & Sunday, October 22
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, hayrides, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating in the shops, more, 96th Street Shopping District, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 28
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat Event, 30th Street Parking Lot, 5-7PM, Saturday, October 28
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca and the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 4
9501 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $560,000, SOLD MLS#: 175455
328 81st Street, Unit #7, Stone Harbor, $600,000, SOLD MLS#: 177313
700 Ocean Drive, B1, Avalon, $730,000, SOLD MLS#: 174505
10824 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $799,000, SOLD MLS#: 176214
281 29th Street, Avalon, $799,000, SOLD MLS#: 175988
43 Marine Way, Avalon, $825,000, SOLD MLS#: 176019
391 95th Street, Stone Harbor, $890,000, SOLD MLS#: 175580
225 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $995,000, SOLD MLS#: 177483
1558 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,125,000, SOLD MLS#: 176193
251 109th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,309,000, SOLD MLS#: 169146
149 105th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 174254
6680 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,580,000, SOLD MLS#: 174082
26 W. 27th Street, Avalon, $1,585,000, SOLD MLS#: 173287
2768 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 165505
23 West 12th Street, Avalon, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 177158
4248 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,745,000, SOLD MLS#: 176841
45 W. 16th Street, Avalon, $2,695,000, SOLD MLS#: 174569
94 E. 15th Street, Avalon, $5,300,000, SOLD MLS#: 177618