THE WETLANDS INSTITUTE has received a grant from the Leff Family Foundation in support of its Coastal Sustainability and Wetland Health Program. The grant will allow Institute scientists to continue monitoring impacts to area marshes, and help guide decision making related to coastal sustainability, beneficial reuse of dredge materials, and wetland restoration.
HAVE OLD AVALON PHOTOS? The Avalon History Center invites you to their “scanning party” on Saturday, October 14th, from 1pm to 3pm. Bring up to ten Avalon photos, and the History Center will scan them for you, and with your permission, will retain a digital copy. Browse the exhibits and enjoy refreshments while you wait! (If you have more than ten photos, let the History Center know so that arrangements can be made to scan your collection at another time.) What a great way to preserve Avalon’s history!
THE COASTAL RESEARCH CENTER from Richard Stockton College of NJ will be surveying the back bays of Stone Harbor twice per year in order to monitor the need for maintenance dredging, as well as bulkhead heights to help the borough research and plan for future flood mitigation efforts.
Blue skies and a steady breeze make for great sailing in the back bay!
DOCUMENT SHREDDING will be offered by the Cape May County Association of Realtors this Saturday. Stop by the CMCAR building at 1546 Route 9 in Swainton from 11am to 12 noon with your boxes or bags of documents. Paper only please—plastic bags and binder clips cannot be shredded (staples and paperclips are fine).
THE MARINE MAMMAL STRANDING CENTER will present a talk on marine mammals and sea turtles present in local waters, including the dangers they face in their everyday lives. The talk will be hosted by the Avalon Free Public Library on Saturday, October 21st at 10am. Learn about these fascinating creatures and how the Marine Mammal Stranding Center helps them!
- Avalon Senior Center Presentation featuring Dr. John Ruskey, topic is Cape Regional Medical Center’s New Initiatives, 10AM, Saturday, October 14
- “Scan Party” at the Avalon History Center, bring your old Avalon photos & they’ll send you home with digital copies & with your permission they will keep a digital copy at the History Center for addition to the town’s permanent record, 1-3PM, Saturday, October 14
- Big Band Dance featuring the Fred Hall Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, October 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Al Harrison Dixieland Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, October 15
- Avalon Lions Club Pasta Night, Windrift Hotel, 4:30-7:30PM, Sunday, October 15
- Representative from the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine will speak on Marine Mammals & Sea Turtles of NJ including those that swim in our waters and the dangers they face, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-11AM, Saturday, October 21
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, Volunteers Needed, Avalon Community Hall, lunch for volunteers at 11AM, planting to follow, Saturday, October 21 (Rain Date is Sunday, October 22)
- Author David Dean will speak about his book, The Thirteenth Child, set in Southern NJ during the Halloween season, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, October 21
- Miss Avalon Pageant, Avalon Elementary School, 6PM, Saturday, October 21
- AAZK Adults Only Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, after hours tour of the zoo, for reservations & tickets visit https://www.eventbrite.
com/e/adults-only-night-walk- at-the-zoo-tickets- 38053100849?aff=es2 up to two weeks prior to the event, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, October 21
- Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey, statewide festival challenge to visit 11 lighthouses including Hereford Inlet Lighthouse & Cape May Lighthouse, visit www.lhchallengenj.org
for info, Saturday, October 21 & Sunday, October 22
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, hayrides, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating in the shops, more, 96th Street Shopping District, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 28
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat Event, 30th Street Parking Lot, 5-7PM, Saturday, October 28
- Trick or Treating in Avalon & Stone Harbor, Property Owners who will be providing treats can add their addresses to the Trick or Treating Route for Kids by calling 609-368-1210 by Friday, October 27th, an identifying Trick or Treat pumpkin will be delivered to your door, 5-8PM, Tuesday, October 31
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca and the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 4
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza, 11AM, Saturday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue, Noon, Saturday, November 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, November 12
432 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $355,000, SOLD MLS#: 176796
8403 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 170576
225 29th Street, Avalon, $965,000, SOLD MLS#: 175982
262 56th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 171404
275 85th St., Stone Harbor, $1,152,500, SOLD MLS#: 176299
1019 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,645,000, SOLD MLS#: 168295
74 E. 13th Street, Avalon, $2,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 177091
10109 Sunrise Drive, Stone Harbor, $4,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 176423