EXPENSIVE OR REALLY EXPENSIVE: A variety of options for the repair or replacement of the Townsend’s Inlet Bridge were offered in a study conducted by Greenman-Pedersen. Options range from a $20-million rehabilitation to buy more time for the current bridge, to $150-million or more for a total replacement. The nearly 80-year old bridge has undergone a series of repair projects in recent years, and was closed just prior to this past summer for emergency repairs. Keeping the bridge open is a top priority for local officials. A rehab of the current bridge could extend its life several years, while a replacement bridge could last many decades—but would require the most money, in addition to years of permitting and construction. The Cape May County Bridge Commission will discuss the options at a meeting this week.
Beautiful scenes occur every day on Seven Mile Beach!
MONARCH BUTTERFLIES will have an area dedicated to them at Avalon’s Armacost Park. The borough recently announced a new plan to create a pollinator-friendly area in the northwest section of the park, at 71st Street & Dune Drive. The existing lawn will be removed, and new flora planted, providing an attractive stopping point for migrating monarchs. The new flora will require less maintenance than the existing lawn. The project is expected to be completed before next summer.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28TH is the day to enjoy Halloween-related activities on & around the Island. Beginning at 10am “Boo at the Zoo” will take place at the Cape May County Zoo, featuring numerous kids activities including an obstacle course, scavenger hunt, and a costume contest. In Stone Harbor, the Kids’ Harvest Festival gets underway at 11am in the business district, including trick or treating in the shops, plus free hay rides. In Avalon, Trunk or Treat takes place in the 30th Street parking lot outside Avalon Community Hall from 5pm to 7pm.
PROPERTY CHECKS are conducted in Stone Harbor during the offseason by the police department. Property owners may register their home so the police department can make routine exterior inspections to make sure that it’s secure even when unoccupied. To register, click here: http://stoneharbornj.
- Windows & Android Devices, open forum workshop for help with general questions, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, October 28
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, hayrides, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating in the shops, more, 96th Street Shopping District, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 28
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat Event, 30th Street Parking Lot, 5-7PM, Saturday, October 28
- Trick or Treating in Avalon & Stone Harbor, Property Owners who will be providing treats can add their addresses to the Trick or Treating Route for Kids by calling 609-368-1210 by Friday, October 27th, an identifying Trick or Treat pumpkin will be delivered to your door, 5-8PM, Tuesday, October 31
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca and the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 4
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza, 11AM, Saturday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue, Noon, Saturday, November 11
- Brendan Borek High Tides Striper Tournament, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Saturday, November 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, November 12
- Cooler By A Mile, Greater By A Million, David LaPuma, Director of NJ Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory discusses how twice a year millions of birds migrate over NJ to & from breeding & wintering grounds across the Western Hemisphere, Avalon Public Library, 11AM-Noon, Saturday, November 18
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, 5PM,
Wednesday, November 22
- Brendan Borek 5K Turkey Trot at Cape May Fitness, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Thursday, November 23
- Festive Friday, family friendly activities for all, shopping, more, throughout Avalon’s shopping district, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 24
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, Noon-8PM,
Friday, November 24
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday, family friendly activities for all, shopping, more, throughout Stone Harbor’s shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 24 & Saturday, November 25
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events throughout Avalon’s business district, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Gala Christmas Parade, music, floats, Santa, more, 6:30PM, Saturday, November 25
9816 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $295,000, SOLD MLS#: 177566
628 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $494,259, SOLD MLS#: 171405
10726 Third Avenue, A10, Stone Harbor, $535,000, SOLD MLS#: 177176
3285 Dune Drive, Avalon, $675,000, SOLD MLS#: 166942
8403 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 170576
262 50th Street, Avalon, $1,105,000, SOLD MLS#: 177807
3248 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,260,000, SOLD MLS#: 177601
211 121st Street, Stone Harbor, $1,850,000, SOLD MLS#: 177509
4328 Dune Drive, Avalon, $2,210,000, SOLD MLS#: 177880
23 Heron Drive, Avalon, $2,550,000, SOLD MLS#: 174078
160 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,595,000, SOLD MLS#: 174028
50 E. 14 Street, Avalon, $3,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 177494