WINTERIZE NOW! If you haven’t done it yet, it’s time to call your plumber to prepare your shore house for winter. Outside water lines, including hose bibs and outdoor showers, should be shut off and drained to prevent freezing and cracking of pipes. Set your thermostat to 55 degrees to protect interior pipes. Crawl space/foundation vents should be closed to prevent cold winds from reaching crawl space pipes. Consult your plumber for advice specific to your home’s unique needs. It’s also a great time to have your HVAC system checked and serviced to ensure your heater is functioning properly. If you need a recommendation for a plumber or HVAC contractor, call or email me.
Enjoyable fall weather lasted until just over a week ago! A fall boat ride on a sunny afternoon can’t be beat!
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, THE ISLAND IS PACKED! A variety of holiday celebrations take place all weekend long in Avalon & Stone Harbor. Avalon’s Festival of Trees kicks off the weekend Wednesday evening, November 22nd. In Avalon the fun continues with Festive Friday and Snowfest Saturday, including all kinds of activities, such as wine tasting, a bounce house, face painting, and ice skating. Stone Harbor celebrates “It’s a Wonderful Life” Friday and Saturday with music, caroling, face painting, movies, tree lighting, and a huge Christmas parade Saturday night. Both towns will be busy enough all weekend that if it weren’t for the winter coats, you’d think it was a summer weekend!
MONARCH BUTTERFLY COUNT INCREASES: Hourly counts of monarch butterflies showed their numbers way up over the past few years. Despite the strong increase, this year’s numbers are still only half what they were in 2012. The hourly counts are part of the New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, and are made by interns who travel a set five-mile route through Cape May County.
TOO CHILLY FOR THE OCEAN? Not if you’re a humpback whale! The second week of November is peak time for whale watching, due to cooling ocean temperatures (around 50 degrees). Local whale-watching captains reported seeing several whales in Cape May County ocean waters this past week. Just like the monarch butterflies, the whales are heading south for the winter.
FOOD DRIVE—LAST CALL: Long & Foster’s annual food drive wraps up this weekend. If you’d like to make a contribution, simply stop by our Avalon office with your non-perishable food items by Monday morning. On Monday Long & Foster will deliver all items to a local food bank for distribution.
- All Aboard: How the Railroad Made Avalon, talk by History Center Interpreter Bill Mengel, learn about the history of the Avalon railroad & see great old photos, 215-39th Street in Avalon, 1-2PM, Saturday, November 4
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca and the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 4
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Saturday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue, Noon, Saturday, November 11
- Brendan Borek High Tides Striper Tournament, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Saturday, November 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, November 12
- Creative Writing, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, November 18
- Cooler By A Mile, Greater By A Million, David LaPuma, Director of NJ Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory discusses how twice a year millions of birds migrate over NJ to & from breeding & wintering grounds across the Western Hemisphere, Avalon Public Library, 11AM-Noon, Saturday, November 18
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, 5PM, Wednesday, November 22
- Brendan Borek 5K Turkey Trot at Cape May Fitness, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Thursday, November 23
- Festive Friday, family friendly activities for all, shopping, more, throughout Avalon’s business district, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 24
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 24
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday, family friendly activities for all, shopping, more, throughout Stone Harbor’s shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 24 & Saturday, November 25
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, activities for all the family, shopping, more throughout Avalon’s business district, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Gala Christmas Parade down 96th Street, music, floats, decorations, Santa, more, 6:30PM, Saturday, November 25
2170 Dune Drive, Avalon, $390,000, SOLD MLS#: 177704
234 21st Street, Unit 204, Avalon, $395,000, SOLD MLS#: 173961
10918 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $700,000, SOLD MLS#: 173119
252 89th Street, Stone Harbor, $895,000, SOLD MLS#: 174639
10552 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $925,000, SOLD MLS#: 178036
233 34th Street, Avalon, $1,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 174887
4651 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 172347
137 98th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,475,000, SOLD MLS#: 175052
330 87th St., #1, Stone Harbor, $1,625,000, SOLD MLS#: 177209
566 7th Street, Avalon, $1,830,000, SOLD MLS#: 179164