SNOW AND ICE blanketed the Island over the past week, and temperatures stayed below freezing. About a foot of snow fell last Thursday, with official totals reaching as high as 17 inches in Cape May Court House and 15.5 inches in Ocean City. High winds caused the powdery snow to blow and drift, eventually leaving some areas almost bare while other areas had snow drifts. Daytime highs in the teens and overnight lows in the single digits kept the Island in an icy grip for more than a week. See below for several photos!
THE BAY WATERS FROZE OVER, leaving the area between the Island and the Parkway looking a bit like the Arctic. The Cape May-Lewes Ferry eventually suspended operations due to ice in the Delaware Bay and the Cape May Canal, but this fascinating footage of the ferry operating in icy waters was captured while ferries were still running: https://www.youtube.
Bay Park Marina in Avalon, looking north toward the lagoons this past Saturday.
Snow cleared from the streets is deposited at the 29th Street parking lot in Avalon. Except for the dunes, it’s now the highest point in Avalon!
Stone Harbor Municipal Marina, looking southwest toward the 96th Street Bridge on Monday.
The thaw begins! Tuesday temperatures inched up above freezing for the first time in a couple of weeks. Here, a layer of fog obscures the Avalon water tower as seen from Avalon Boulevard on Tuesday.
POLAR BEAR PLUNGES that had been scheduled for Ocean City, Ventnor, Margate, and Brigantine were all cancelled due to the extreme cold. Still want to plunge? Wildwood is set to plunge on Saturday, January 13th, and Sea Isle’s Polar Bear Weekend features a plunge on Saturday, February 17th. North Wildwood will host the Fallen Hero Polar Bear Plunge on February 24th, followed by the Stone Harbor Shiver plunge a few weeks later on March 17th.
JUST 68 DAYS UNTIL SPRING! Hang in there! Need something to help you keep warm in the meantime? Check out my 2018 Rental Brochure and start planning your summer vacation! Click here to view:
- Law Enforcement Polar Bear Plunge supporting the Special Olympics of New Jersey, visit www.NJPolarPlunge.org
for info, Wildwood Convention Center & Wildwood Beach, registration at 10AM, plunge begins at 1PM, Saturday, January 13
- Old Photo Event at the Avalon History Center (re-scheduled due to weather), dozens of photos from the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s not previously displayed will be shown, 1-2PM, Saturday, January 13
- Boardwalk Kennel Club All Breed Dog Show, Wildwood Convention Center, competitions from 8:30AM-6PM daily, Wednesd
ay-Sunday, January 17-21
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 20
- Fralinger String Band Performance, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, January 20
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Kevin Flynn, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, January 20
- The Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Supper featuring a guest speaker sharing important issues in environmental science & biology, admission fee & please bring a covered dish to share, 6-8PM, Friday, January 26
- Irish & Italian Genealogy Workshop, research with the help of Casey Zahn using library and online resources, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, January 27
- Stone Harbor Mayor’s Wellness Campaign, information, activities & tools for healthier living, register at www.stoneharborrecreation.
com by January 29, or attend kick-off on February 1st at 5:30PM at the Stone Harbor Recreation Building, event occurs from Thursday, February 1-Thursday, March 29
- Barber Shop Quartet Performance by the Cape Shore Chorus, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM, Saturd
ay, February 3
- 15th Annual Friend in Need Super Bowl Bash Fundraiser, The Princeton in Avalon, Sunday, February 4
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Julian McCullough, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, February 17
- 24th Annual Polar Bear Plunge Weekend in Sea Isle City, visit www.
polarbearrunwalkforautism.com for details, Saturday, February 17
- Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge in North Wildwood, visit http://FallenHeroPlunge.
com for details, Saturday, February 24
151 95th Street, Stone Harbor, $465,500, SOLD MLS#: 178370
636 21st Street, Avalon, $562,500, SOLD MLS#: 176724
267 22nd Street, Avalon, $625,000, SOLD MLS#: 175637
329 80th Street, Stone Harbor, $680,000, SOLD MLS#: 178864
929 Dune Drive, Avalon, $800,000, SOLD MLS#: 147872
623 E. 21st Street, Avalon, $860,000, SOLD MLS#: 178315
250 54th Street, Avalon, $1,285,000, SOLD MLS#: 176474
330 87th St., #1, Stone Harbor, $1,625,000, SOLD MLS#: 177209
128 15th Street, Avalon, $1,627,500, SOLD MLS#: 178983
197 77th Street, Avalon, $1,900,000, SOLD MLS#: 177307
8523 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,125,000, SOLD MLS#: 172146
80 N. Inlet Drive, Avalon, $2,175,000, SOLD MLS#: 171849