SIDE SCAN SONAR will be used to investigate damage to the Eighth Street jetty in Avalon, according to a recent Cape May County Herald article. The technology is often used by fishermen to locate underwater schools of fish; in this case it will allow engineers to study underwater portions of the jetty damaged last year by Winter Storm Jonas.
Winter sunsets result in all sorts of colors! This view is from Ocean Drive south of Stone Harbor, looking toward North Wildwood. The light from the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse can be seen on the far left.
STONE HARBOR FIRE DEPARTMENT responded to a fire in Stone Harbor Manor shortly after 11am Tuesday, and found the rear of a home fully involved upon arrival. Stone Harbor and Cape May Court House firefighters extinguished the blaze with help from tankers from Goshen and Green Creek. Black smoke was visible for miles around the area.
THE AVALON POLICE DEPARTMENT appointed Jeff Christopher to Chief of Police during a ceremony last week. Chief Christopher has been with the department since 2000, and replaced outgoing 31-year veteran William McCormick. John Roscoe, who joined the department in 1992, was named Captain. Also promoted were Matthew Sykes and William Robinson III, who were both promoted to Sergeant, while James Savini and Christopher Nazha both joined the department as full time officers.
CHECK BELOW for the latest new listings, properties sold, and a special look at a three-bedroom condo with ocean views for $749,000!
95 YEARS IN BUSINESS! Congratulations to Sturdy Savings Bank on 95 years of service to Cape May County! Sturdy has branches in Avalon and Stone Harbor, as well as 11 other locations around Cape May County. Even those who don’t bank there may be familiar with Sturdy’s “Banking with a Personal Touch” slogan, often heard on local television commercials.
FLY, EAGLES FLY! As the Birds make their third appearance in the Super Bowl, the entire region is rooting for them! Will this rematch with the Patriots result in a different outcome? GO EAGLES!
- Stone Harbor Mayor’s Wellness Campaign, information, activities & tools for healthier living, attend kick-off on February 1st at 5:30PM at the Stone Harbor Recreation Building, event occurs from Thursday, February 1-Thursday, March 29
- Drop In Tech Workshop for Apple computers, iPads & iPhones, Avalon Free Public Library, 11:30AM-1PM,
Saturday, February 3
- Barber Shop Quartet Performance by the Cape Shore Chorus, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM,
Saturday, February 3
- 15th Annual Friend in Need Super Bowl Bash XV fundraiser, door prizes, football, food & drink, The Princeton in Avalon, doors open at 4PM, Sunday, February 4
- Genealogy Workshop, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, February 10
- Big Band Dance featuring the Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, February 10
- 24th Annual Polar Bear Plunge Weekend in Sea Isle City, visit http://visitsicnj.com/
featured-event for details, Saturday, February 17
- Creative Writing, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library. 10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 17
- Abraham Lincoln Presentation by author and professor Gerald McNeff, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, February 17
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Julian McCullough, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, February 17
- The Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Supper featuring a guest speaker sharing important issues in environmental science & biology, admission fee & please bring a covered dish to share, 6-8PM, Friday, February 23
- Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge in North Wildwood, visit http://FallenHeroPlunge.
com for details, Saturday, February 24
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Event, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday, March 8-Saturday, March 10
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz Concert, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 11
- Pre-Stone Harbor Shiver Party, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 6PM, Friday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Bear Plunge, register at Fred’s Tavern, 9:30AM, parade to beach followed by the plunge, 11AM-1PM, Saturday, March 17
8811 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $455,000, SOLD MLS#: 178409
76 W. 28th, Avalon, $525,000, SOLD MLS#: 179430
502 7th Street, Avalon, $1,860,000, SOLD MLS#: 175335
25 W. 13th Street, Avalon, $2,195,000, SOLD MLS#: 178011
214 62nd Street, Avalon, $3,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 177801
101 121st Street, Stone Harbor, $5,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 166395
56 W. 35th Street, Avalon, $7,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 174166