WE’RE SEEING GREEN! CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES! Thank you for winning the first Eagles’ Super Bowl Championship, uniting our entire region as we all rooted for the Birds! What a game, and what a way to finish a great season!
AVALON HISTORY CENTER: SEEKING ARTIFACTS! The Avalon History Center is working on a three-part presentation on the history of Avalon. The series will include the “railroad age” from 1888-1939, wartime years through the 1962 storm, and the modern era. The History Center is appreciative of all artifacts, but staff are specifically seeking recordings of music from the Marine Ballroom, photos and stories from the Bongo Room and Catacombs bar, video clips of Ed McMahon speaking about Avalon on the Tonight Show, and photographs of Avalon hotels in the 1960s and 1970s. To donate contact the museum at 609-967-0090, or stop by the History Center at 215 39th Street.
It was the only way to go—and the best way to get here—at least for a while! Passenger railroads reached the South Jersey Shore In the late 1800s and early 1900s and opened up the Shore to residents of Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. As better automobiles and highways became more common, train service to and from Shore locations eventually diminished, as evidenced by the limited number of departures from 96th Street shown in the ad above. (Image courtesy of Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines Historical Society.)
VALENTINES DAY OPTIONS: If you’re looking for an overnight stay and a fine meal, both Icona Avalon and The Reeds at Shelter Haven have Valentines Day getaway packages you’ll want to check out!
Icona Avalon: https://icona.com/
The Reeds at Shelter Haven: https://www.
If you’d like to look at vacation rental options while you’re here, or you want to consider purchasing your very own permanent getaway, please call me!
LONG & FOSTER CELEBRATES 50 YEARS! A Big Mac was 49 cents, a gallon of gas was 34 cents, and the median home price was $25,600 when Long & Foster first opened its doors in 1968. Fifty years later Long & Foster uses the latest technology & marketing techniques—but still provides old fashioned top notch service! Thank you for being a valued Long & Foster client!
- Avalon Home & Land Owners’ Association meeting with Library Director Erin Brown speaking, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, February 10
- Wine & Chocolate Wine Trail Weekend at the Natali Vineyard in Cape May Court House, visit http://www.
natalivineyards.com for details, Noon-5PM, Saturday & Sunday, February 10 &11
- Genealogy Workshop, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, February 10
- Big Band Dance featuring the Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, February 10
- 24th Annual Polar Bear Plunge Weekend in Sea Isle City, visit http://visitsicnj.com/
featured-event for details, Saturday, February 17
- Creative Writing, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library. 10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 17
- Abraham Lincoln Presentation by author and professor Gerald McNeff, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, February 17
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Julian McCullough, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, February 17
- The Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Supper featuring a guest speaker sharing important issues in environmental science & biology, admission fee & please bring a covered dish to share, 6-8PM, Friday, February 23
- Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge in North Wildwood, visit http://FallenHeroPlunge.
com for details, Saturday, February 24
- Drop In Open Forum for questions regarding your computer, phone, software or app, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, February 24
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Event, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday, March 8-Saturday, March 10
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz Concert, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 11
- Pre-Stone Harbor Shiver Party, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 6PM, Friday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Bear Plunge, register at Fred’s Tavern, 9:30AM, parade to beach followed by the plunge, 11AM-1PM, Saturday, March 17
- Cape May County Zoo’s Tree-to-Tree Adventure Park, open weekends beginning Saturday, March 24
404 24th Street, Avalon, $1,558,000, SOLD MLS#: 178402
330 87th St., #1, Stone Harbor, $1,625,000, SOLD MLS#: 177209
36 W. 32nd Street, Avalon, $2,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 179096
26 W. 32nd Street, Avalon, $3,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 179095