AVALON’S TAX RATE will decrease based on the municipal budget introduced at last week’s council meeting. Avalon’s municipal rate will decrease from $.226 to $.199 per $100 of assessed value—a rate that is lower than any other municipal rate in Cape May County in 2017. Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi stated, “Our financial management practices, debt management, and a recent reassessment contribute to the a reduction in the municipal tax rate while funding necessary programs and capital projects that will enhance the quality of life in Avalon”. Even with the lower tax rate, projected revenue is expected to increase due to the reassessment. A full presentation on the budget will be provided during the March 28th council meeting.
Does this bring back memories? A child explores the beach and picks up shells as the sun goes down.
THE WEEKEND NOR’EASTER that set up offshore this past weekend caused higher than normal tide levels, but no major flooding. Locally strong offshore winds helped counter the effects of the full moon and the weather, keeping water levels down.
LAST CHANCE TO PLUNGE! Wildwood plunged… Sea Isle City plunged… Your last chance to take a chilly dip in the ocean is the Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Bear Plunge on Saturday, March 17th! If you’re undecided, consider this: the surf temperature is currently 39 degrees!
SIGNS OF SPRING: despite a cold ocean there are signs of Spring showing on the Island! Restaurants are reopening—The Concord is now open seven days per week, with more reopenings occurring weekly. Owners are back to check on and use their properties on weekends. And, like every year, contractors are busy prepping properties and working on spring projects. If you need pre-season work done, don’t wait—now is the time to call your contractor! Need a recommendation? Call me!
SHOP TILL YOU DROP THIS WEEKEND! Shop-A-Holics returns, beginning Thursday at 4pm at The Princeton and The Whitebrier. For details and a list of vendors, visithttps://www.
SPRING FORWARD on Sunday, March 11th at 2:00AM, for Daylight Savings Time. That gets us one step closer to summer time!
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Event, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday, March 8-Saturday, March 10 https://www.visitavalonnj.
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting discussing Boro Finances with Council Members Chuck Covington, Nancy Hudanich and CFO Jim Craft, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, March 10
- Genealogy Workshop, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, March 10
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz Concert, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 11
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior to pick-up on Monday, March 12
- Pre-Stone Harbor Shiver Party, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 6PM, Friday, March 16
- Creative Writing, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories & articles, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, March 17
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Bear Plunge, register at Fred’s Tavern, 9:30AM, parade to beach followed by the plunge, 11AM-1PM, Saturday, March 17
- Irish Music by Ceol Binn, Avalon Free Public Library, 1PM, Saturday, March 17
- Sea Isle City’s 28th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration, along Landis Avenue from 83rd Street to 63rd Street, 3:30 PM, Saturday, March 17
- Cape May County Zoo’s Tree-to-Tree Adventure Park, open weekends beginning Saturday, March 24
- Drop In Tech Workshop for Windows Computers & Android Smart Phones, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, March 24
- Cape May County Zoo EggstravaganZoo, Easter bunny, educational displays, scavenger hunt, crafts, more, visit www.cmczoo.com for info, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, March 24
- Stone Harbor’s Easter Egg Hunt, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 24 (Rain Date is Sunday, March 25)
- Magic Show with Joe Fischer, Avalon Elementary School, 10-11AM, Friday, March 30
- Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Supper, guest speaker to share knowledge in the field of environmental science & biology, admission fee & covered dish to share, 6-8PM, Friday, March 30
- Turtle Fest, pancake breakfast, arts & crafts, search for turtle hatchlings, live animal presentations, visit www.wetlandsinstitute.
org for info, 9AM-3PM, Wetlands Institute, Saturday, March 31
- Never Break the Chain, songs of Fleetwood Mac, Harbor Square Theater, 8:30 PM, Saturday, March 31
Properties Under Contract:
2778 Dune Drive, Avalon, $619,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179918
910 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $870,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 177891
250 95th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,125,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 178209
197 64th Street, Avalon, $2,495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179030
450 20th Street, Avalon, $675,000, SOLD MLS#: 179522
274 W. 26th Street, Avalon, $889,000, SOLD MLS#: 177487
236 25th Street, Avalon, $970,000, SOLD MLS#: 179500
330 87th St., #1, Stone Harbor, $1,625,000, SOLD MLS#: 177209
258 70th Street, Avalon, $2,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 180292
100 107th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 178529