REAL ESTATE INSTEAD OF STOCKS…Worried about the volatility of your stock portfolio? A recent USA Today article indicates real estate may be a better investment. While real estate declined during the financial crisis and bear market a decade ago, it typically holds up better than stocks do, according to the article:
What a way to end a day! Want to enjoy a view like this? Call me and I’ll find you the perfect place to call your own! Long & Foster’s Steve Humanick captured the photo.
THE TOWNSENDS INLET BRIDGE has reopened to vehicular traffic after being closed for three weeks of maintenance work. Traffic is still limited to one alternating lane—but it’s quicker than going “the long way around” if you’re travelling from Avalon to Sea Isle City, or vice versa. Work will continue for the next several weeks until normal traffic flow resumes in June; the remaining maintenance work will be completed in the fall. Meanwhile maintenance work continues on the Great Channel Bridge linking Stone Harbor with North Wildwood. An alternating traffic pattern is in effect there, too.
STILL DEEP! Follow up surveying conducted after Stone Harbor’s 2016-2017 bay dredging project shows that the lagoons are still as deep as they were immediately after the project concluded. According to a recent Stone Harbor Property Owners Association report, “localized changes in some lagoons appear to be the result of different methodology [used to measure depths] rather than any accumulation or erosion of sediment.” That means boaters can expect to enjoy deep waters again this summer while cruising behind Stone Harbor.
“TWELVE ANCIENT HOUSES OF CAPE MAY COUNTY” That’s the title of local author Joan Berkey’s presentation, scheduled for this Saturday, May 5th, at the Avalon History Center, from 1pm to 2pm. The presentation will cover 12 houses in the county that were built before 1730 and still stand today!
LIGHTHOUSE CLIMBERS…How about a full moon climb this Sunday? It’s the first full moon climb of the season at the Cape May Lighthouse, 8pm to 10pm Sunday evening. Viewing a full moon glimmering off the ocean from the 157-foot tall lighthouse is a memorable experience! Tickets are $12 for adults and $8 for children ages 3-12. Visithttps://www.capemaymac.
- Avalon Garden Club Arbor Day Celebration, 37th & Dune Drive, 10:30AM, Friday, April 27
- Stone Harbor Elementary School Arbor Day Celebration, 1:30PM, Friday, April 27
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, 8-10PM, Sunday, April 29
- 13th Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Brendan’s Fund, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Stone Harbor Golf Club, 12 Noon tee time, 5PM for dinner, Friday, May 4
- Stone Harbor’s Spring Tide Festival, artisans, sea-faring family friendly activities, food, live music, beer & wine garden, more, Stone Harbor’s downtown shopping area, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, May 5
- Cinco De Mayo Benefit for Brendan’s Fund, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, The Taco Shop at 1288 Hornet Road, Rio Grande (Cape May County Airport), Saturday, May 5
- Avalon Garden Club Plant & Bake Sale, Avalon’s Community Hall, 10AM-4PM on Saturday, May 5 & 10AM–3PM on Sunday, May 6
- Avalon Wine & Spirits Festival, Avalon Community Hall, 6:30-9PM, Friday, May 11
- Native Plant Sale, The Wetlands Institute, 9:30AM-4:30PM,
Friday–Sunday, May 11-13
- Avalon Yard Sale sponsored by the Avalon Garden Club, map pickup at 8AM at Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, May 12
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Bake Sale, 96th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-2PM, Saturday, May 12
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Plant Sale, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 8AM-2PM on
Saturday, May 12 & 8AM–Noon on Sunday, May 13
- Avalon Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary Plant Sale, Avalon Fire House, 8AM-3PM, Saturday, May 12
- Avalon Fire Department Hoagie Sale, Avalon Fire House, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, May 12
- Big Band Dance featuring the Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, May 12
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, proceeds benefit the ‘Food Bank of Southern Jersey’, 2-4PM, Sunday, May 13
- Avalon Garden Club Fashion Show, Avalon Yacht Club, Noon-4PM, Wednesday, May 16
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, 96th Street Women’s Civic Club, 8AM-2PM, Saturday, May 19
- Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, The Wetlands Institute, 9:30AM-4:30AM,
Saturday & Sunday, May 19 & 20
Properties Under Contract:
9923 Corinthian Drive, Stone Harbor, $779,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181084
3935 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $869,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181049
130 26th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181431
6998 Dune Drive, Avalon, $3,495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 176222
166 Pelican Drive, Avalon, $3,950,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181123
174 S. Pelican Drive, Avalon, $8,390,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179539
10912 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $375,000, SOLD MLS#: 179051
198 72nd Street, Avalon, $2,326,500, SOLD MLS#: 179375
102 119th Street, Stone Harbor, $8,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 174461