THE UNOFFICIAL BEGINNING OF SUMMER is finally upon us! After a long winter who isn’t ready to kick off the summer season? The Island is ready for an influx of visitors: shops and restaurants are open, the beaches are open, and a weekend of fun awaits! On Monday, May 28th both Avalon and Stone Harbor will hold parades and Memorial Day observances. Whether you’re walking the beach or barbequing with friends, take a moment to remember the veterans that have made it all possible.
MARKET STATS: Sales ticked up in the month of April, although they’re down from a year ago, due to a shrinking inventory of listings. The number of active listings is down 17% from a year ago. For a detailed update on the market see the latest Long & Foster Market Minute here: http://marketminute.
Click above for the latest Long & Foster Market Minute!
ABOUT 30,000 CUBIC YARDS of sand will have been placed on Avalon’s north-end beaches by the time a sand backpassing project concludes this week. Sand from a sandbar just south of 32nd Street will be transported to north-end beaches to replenish them after erosion occurred during late winter nor’easters. (No dry beach sand had to be used for this project.) This is the Borough’s sixth sand backpassing project, which have proven to be an effective way to rebuild beaches in between more expensive hydraulic dredging projects.
THEY’RE FIFTY POUNDS LIGHTER! Stone Harbor Beach Patrol is trying out a new aluminum version of its traditional lifeguard stands. The lighter weight will make it easier on lifeguards, who adjust the position of their stands several times on a typical shift due to tide changes. In addition to the weight savings, the new stands are believed to be more durable than wooden versions.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, check out Avalon’s expanded bike path. Newly striped lanes on borough streets mark the path—check it out when you’re in town, or have a look at this map:
FLOUNDER SEASON also kicks off this Friday, May 25th. For bait, tackle, and fishing advice visit Smuggler’s Cove in Stone Harbor, or check with Avalon Hodge Podge or Moran’s Dockside in Avalon. If you’d like to rent your own boat and take the kids fishing, Smuggler’s Cove has boats available for daily rental.
- Avalon Free Public Library’s ‘Libraries Rock!’ Kid’s Reading Program, prizes every week, begins Friday, May 25 through Friday, August 17
- War at the Shore Touch Football Tournament, Stone Harbor Recreation Fields, 9AM-5PM, Saturday, May 26
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, SH’s Beach Patrol, Police, Fire, Rescue & Office of Emergency Management personnel will compete in a series of challenges for a chance to officially ‘unlock’ the beaches for the season, 95th Street Beach, Noon, Saturday, May 26
- 19th Annual Turtle Trot 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 95th Street & First Avenue, 6:45AM registration, 8
AM race, 8:05AM Fun Walk, Sunday, May 27
- Stone Harbor’s Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 27
- Matthew Mullin Memorial 5K Beach Run/Walk, 30th Street Beach, 8:30AM, Sunday, May 27
- Avalon’s Memorial Day Parade, starts at 32nd Street & Dune Drive to Veteran’s Plaza at 21st & Dune, 9AM, Monday, May 28
- Memorial Service for Fallen Heroes, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 11AM, Monday, May 28
- 7 Mile Island American Legion Parade & Ceremony, Parade will begin at Noon & proceed down 96th Street to the Women’s Civic Club for the Ceremony, Monday, May 28
- 7 Mile Island American Legion Open House, 11617 Second Avenue, 1PM, Monday, May 28
- Full Moon Climb, Cape May Lighthouse, 8-10PM, Tuesday, May 29
- Stone Harbor Garden Club House Tour, visit www.shnj.org/gardenclub
for info, 12:30-4PM, Saturday, June 2
- Avalon Performing Arts Concert featuring The Duprees & DJ Lou Costello, Avalon Community Hall, doors open at 6:30PM, music & dancing at 7:30PM, Saturday, June 2
- Stone Harbor’s Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 3
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail at 114th Street & Second Avenue entrance, 10AM, Sunday, June 3
- Cape May County Zoo 40th Anniversary Celebration, music, bounce house, crafts, rides, talks, more, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, June 9
- 7 Mile Restaurant Week, island-wide, www.
visitavalonnj.com for info, Monday, June 4-Sunday, June 10
- Avalon Garden Club Flower Show, Avalon Community Hall, visit Noon-4PM, Saturday, June 9
- Stone Harbor’s Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 10
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz, VFW Post #386 at 419 Congress Street in Cape May, proceeds benefit ‘Food Bank of Southern Jersey’, 2-4PM, Sunday, June 10
- Movie Night at the Stone Harbor Library, PG rated Paddington 2, 5:30-7:30PM, Thursday, June 14
- Big Band Dance featuring Swingadelic, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, June16
Properties Under Contract:
30 Meadowview Lane, Avalon Manor, $370,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 171271
700 First Avenue, #418, Avalon, $599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179416
221 110th Street, Stone Harbor, $899,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179983
2601 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $929,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181141
144 15th Street, Avalon, $949,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179800
261 44th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181945
4101 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,875,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181136
92 E. 12th Street, Avalon, $3,950,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182001
3319 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $346,000, SOLD MLS#: 179694
151 95th St., Unit 5, Stone Harbor, $437,500, SOLD MLS#: 180212
1114 Stone Harbor Blvd., Stone Harbor Manor, $450,000, SOLD MLS#: 171783
2778 Dune Drive, Avalon, $600,000, SOLD MLS#: 179918
2019 Dune Drive, Avalon, $821,500, SOLD MLS#: 180255
181 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $995,000, SOLD MLS#: 179889
4868 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $2,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 182060
9 98th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 177558
222 70th Street, Avalon, $2,837,500, SOLD MLS#: 178267