MORTGAGE RATES have crept up slightly the past few weeks, and the Mortgage Banker’s Association predicts they could reach an average of 5.4% in 2019. Thinking about buying? Now may be the right time, as a future rate increase could cost you more money each month. Need a good mortgage lender? Call me and I’ll be glad to put you in touch with a reliable pro!
AVALON’S 2018 INFORMATION & RECREATION GUIDE is available online at http://avalonnjguide.com/ In it you’ll find helpful phone numbers, beach information, a list of summer camps, plus event listings.
Turtle fences really work…this turtle was kept safely in the brush adjacent to Avalon’s Municipal Marina, and prevented from crossing Ocean Drive. Keep an eye open for turtles in areas unprotected by turtle fences, as they seek higher ground upon which to lay eggs.
TUNA IN THE CANYONS, and flounder inshore. That’s the synopsis on June fishing in local waters. Reports of good catches continue to come in as tuna move northward, and numerous flounder are caught in the bay. A 269 pound mako shark was weighed in at the South jersey Marina Shark Tournament this past weekend, in which 68 boats were entered.
STONE HARBOR’S ”HOBIE CAT BEACH” will be open for sailcraft storage, after being closed initially due to lack of sand. The 122nd Street beach is steeper and narrower than usual meaning beachgoers may compete with catamarans stored in their traditional location. As a compromise, catamaran storage will remain open but sailors must move their vessels on and off the beach without vehicles, using beach wheels and manpower instead. The beach patrol could impose additional restrictions on that area of beach if necessary.
A.J. MEERWALD, New Jersey’s official tall ship, travelled to Atlantic Highlands, NJ this week as part of its summer cruise schedule. The Meerwald will also visit Jersey City, Philadelphia and Cape Charles, Virginia this year among other ports of call, but will spend nearly a month berthed in Cape May beginning August 5th. While in Cape May the Meerwald will offer a series of public sailing trips one to two hours in length.
COMING SOON! Fourth of July events will appear in my event list beginning next week—keep an eye out. Meanwhile, check out the great events happening throughout the area this weekend!
- Avalon Free Public Library’s ‘Libraries Rock!’ Kid’s Reading Program, prizes every week, NOW through Friday, August 17
- Movie Night at the Stone Harbor Library, PG rated Paddington 2, 5:30-7:30PM, Thursday, June 14
- Avalon Lions Club Pancake Breakfast, Avalon Community Hall, 8-11AM, Saturday, June 16
- Avalon Historical Society Olde House Tour, visit www.AvalonHistoryCenter.
org for info, 1-4PM, Saturday, June 16
- Big Band Dance featuring Swingadelic, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, June 16
- Stone Harbor’s Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 17
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail at 114th Street & Second Avenue entrance, 10AM, Sunday, June 17
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Strawberry Festival, 6-8PM, Sunday, June 17
- Avalon History Trivia Night, Avalon History Center, visit www.avalonhistorycenter.
org for info, 6PM, Tuesday, June 19
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Art Show: Celebrating Three Decades of Art, Preview Night, Avalon Elementary School, 6-9PM, Friday, June 22
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Art Show: Celebrating Three Decades of Art, Avalon Elementary School, 10AM-4PM, Saturday, June 23
- Avalon Library Open House & Story Book Bash, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-1PM, Saturday, June 23
- 1st Annual Summer Kick-Off Pickleball Tournament, 8100 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, Saturday & Sunday, June 23 & 24
- Stone Harbor’s Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 24
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary tour, meet at Egret Espy Trail at 114th Street & Second Avenue entrance, 10AM, Sunday, June 24
- Stone Harbor Family Night, fun for all, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, June 25
- Children’s Mini Event, Rizzo’s Wildlife, Avalon Elementary School, 11AM, Tuesday, June 26
- Avalon’s Beach Movie, ‘Spider Man Homecoming,’ 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Tuesday, June 26
- Flyers Trial on the Isle: Flyers Prospect Exhibition, Stone Harbor town-wide, all day, Wednesday, June 27
- Cornhole Night at Stone Harbor Elementary School Field, 7-8:30PM, Wednesday, June 27
- APAC Children’s Mini Event featuring Michael Rosman’s Amazing Feats of Comedy, Avalon Elementary School, 11AM-Noon, Thursday, June 28
- Movie Night at the Stone Harbor Library, PG rated Despicable Me 3, 5:30-7:30PM, Thursday, June 28
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring ‘Blue Bone,’ Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, June 28
- Full Moon Climb at the Cape May Lighthouse, 8-10PM, Thursday, June 28
- 8th Annual Low Tide Beach Ride benefiting Brendan Borek Fund, 9th Street Beach, check-in & registration at 5PM, Saturday, June 30
Properties Under Contract:
D34 Weber Court, Stone Harbor, $539,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 179210
301 80th Street, Avalon, $695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182373
225 34th Street, Avalon, $989,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182221
315 79th Street, Avalon, $1,095,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 180876
161 31st Street, Avalon, $1,250,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182349
5 Marine Way, Avalon, $1,350,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182383
65 W. 24th Street, Avalon, $3,899,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 180440
315 60th Street, Avalon, $4,500,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 180195
212 33rd Street, Avalon, $470,000, SOLD MLS#: 179902
148 15th Street, Avalon, $975,000, SOLD MLS#: 179220
25 E. 23rd Street, Avalon, $3,275,000, SOLD MLS#: 177703
9201 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $4,200,000, SOLD MLS#: 180042