Monday’s snowfall turned to freezing rain on the Island. Here, blades of dune grass laden with ice stand above a light coating of snow blanketing the dunes.
A RECORD 932 OSPREYS were counted in New Jersey in 2018, according to an Atlantic City Press article. Of the state’s 589 active nests, 423 were located in Atlantic, Cape May, and Cumberland Counties. During the summer months ospreys can easily be viewed in and around the wetlands behind Avalon & Stone Harbor.
THE WETLANDS INSTITUTE celebrates its 50th Anniversary of its founding on February 17th. The non-profit organization has a mission to preserve, protect and steward wetlands and coastal ecosystems and fulfills its mission through programs in research, conservation and education. Executive Director Dr. Lenore Tedesco said ““The Wetlands Institute was founded with an understanding that wetlands and coastal ecosystems are immensely important and needed to be studied and protected. We have stayed true to that mission.” The Wetlands Institute is planning celebrations throughout the year including a weekend-long open house and celebration in June and free admissions days on the first Wednesday of June, July, August and September. Visit The Wetlands Institute online at www.wetlandsinstitute.org
This Victorian home left Avalon a year ago and awaits another move. See below for info.
ABOUT A YEAR AGO the Victorian home (above) was disassembled and removed from its lot in Avalon in order to save it from demolition. Today it sits in storage on the mainland, awaiting a move to its new location in Cape May. See this Atlantic City Press article for more on the house and its future: https://www.
THE AVALON MUSEUM has more than a dozen oral histories recorded detailing a variety of things from Avalon’s past. The Museum is also seeking additional oral histories to add to its collection. To listen online, or to contact the Museum about adding to the collection, click here: http://www.
THIS WEEKEND: Catch Polar Bear Weekend in Sea Isle City, including the Plunge on Saturday at 2pm. If 39 degree ocean water is a bit too chilly for you, consider the Polar Bear Run/Walk for Autism on Sunday, on the Promenade. For info on Polar Bear Weekend events click here: https://www.visitsicnj.
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY to you & yours!
- Sea Isle City Polar Bear Weekend, festivities all weekend with the plunge on Saturday, February 16 at 2PM, Friday-Sunday, February 15-17
- Avalon Beach Party, bring the kids for an indoor beach party including the limbo, music, crafts and a game, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM, Saturday, February 16
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, stories, books, etc., register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 16
- Beck’s Philadelphia Brigade Band, music from an authentic Civil War era brass band performed in dress uniform to commemorate Presidents’ Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, February 16
- Uncorked Comedy at Willow Creek Farm & Winery, 3 course wine paired dinner & comedy show, 6-10PM, Saturday, February 16
- Third Saturday Comedy with Headliner Tim Krompier & featuring Bob Marsdale, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, 9PM, Saturday, February16
- Tea & Memory Sharing at the Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 11AM, Thursday, February 21
- Pick a Language to Learn with Cathy Zane using numerous offerings in Rosetta Stone or Mago, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, February, 23
- Windows Computers & Android Smart Phone Drop In-Tech Workshop, help with your computer, phone, software or an app, Avalon Free Public Library, 11:30AM-1PM, Saturday, February 23
- The Storm of ’62 Slide Show depicting the storm & its impact, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 2
- Avalon’s Shop-a-Holics Weekend, designers, deals & drinks, Princeton Bar & Grill & the Whitebrier, 4-9PM on Thursday & Friday, March 7 & 8 and 10AM-6PM on Saturday, March 9
- Fiddle Club, students from Music Studios in Linwood & professional musicians perform Irish songs to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 9
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge Pre-Shiver party, The Reeds, 6-9PM, Friday, March 15
- Kegs & Eggs Pre-Shiver Celebration, Fred’s Tavern, 10AM, Saturday, March 16
- Parade to the 96th Street beach from behind Fred’s Tavern, starts at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge, 96th Street Beach, following the parade from Fred’s Tavern which begins at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Apple Computer, iPads & iPhones Drop-In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3:30PM, Saturday, March 16
571 Avalon, Avalon Manor, $279,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186052
7900 Dune Drive #115, Avalon, $295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186010
7900 Dune Drive #109, Avalon, $330,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186009
710 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $359,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186012
9716 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $489,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186057
696 Sunrise Drive, Avalon, $529,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 186003
285 14th Street, Avalon, $659,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186019
234 24th Street, Avalon, $989,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 186013
280 89th Street, Stone Harbor, $995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186048
6337 Heron Cove, Avalon, $1,399,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185979
256 44th Street, Avalon, $1,549,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186017
2619 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,625,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186041
210 121st Street, Stone Harbor, $2,650,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186066
53 W. 25th Street, Avalon, $2,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186007
8 111th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,500,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186031
190 75th Street, Avalon, $3,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185983
5878 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $6,875,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185996
Properties Under Contract:
1114 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185334
259 20th Street, Avalon, $747,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 181982
248 28th Street, Avalon, $974,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184350
388 39th Street, Avalon, $999,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185370
870 21st Street, Avalon, $1,595,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185974
56 E. 17th Street, Avalon, $3,499,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185662
174 76th Street, Avalon, $3,750,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185991
226 108th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,446,000, SOLD MLS#: 182725
151 21st Street, Avalon, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 184255