The setting sun lights up the windows of Avalon homes overlooking the bay!
AVALON’S SURFSIDE PARK will open for the summer season, and will feature a lineup of entertainment and activities. “Surfside Live” will take place on Mondays throughout July and August, featuring entertainment for children; “Surfside Jam” will be held on Friday evenings with a live DJ Dance Party for kids and games, and face painting. Surfside Park, located at 30thStreet & the beach, has been under construction since October and will include a playground, restroom facilities, a large lawn, and an entertainment area. Surfside Park is expected to be completed and open for Memorial Day Weekend.
SEVEN MILE ISLAND LIVING LABORATORY: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has announced a new initiative to improve dredging and marsh restoration techniques, utilizing the 6,000 acres of state-owned marshland behind Avalon and Stone Harbor. In December the Corps completed a dredging project and used the dredge material to create a new nesting habitat in the marsh behind Stone Harbor. A similar habitat created on Ring Island has already been utilized by black skimmers, common and least terns, and American oystercatchers, all of which are state endangered species. In the case of least terns, it’s the first successful coastal nesting since the 1980s. The Wetlands Institute, located within the Seven Mile Island Living Laboratory area, will provide dock facilities, research labs, and environmental education to complement the project.
STONE HARBOR SHIVER: The annual cold-weather dip in the ocean takes place in Stone Harbor on Saturday, March 16th. In addition to the swim, a weekend’s worth of events are scheduled, making it a great way to kick off the season early! For info on the weekend, or to register, visit https://www.active.com/
BIG BOATS won’t be able to request an opening of the 96th Street Bridge due to repairs in progress. Earlier this week bridge openings were suspended for two weeks until repairs can be completed. The bridge will remain open to automobile traffic. The US Coast Guard has been notified of the restriction, and has informed boaters via its Notice to Mariners report.
SOME CAPE MAY COUNTY TOWNS will lose significant school funding under new state aid funding guidelines, according to The Atlantic City Press. Avalon will lose a modest $3,265 (a state aid decrease of 4.47%), Stone Harbor will lose $1,555 (a decrease of 2.97%), and Sea Isle City will lose $12,050 (4.91%). Other school districts in the county will lose significant amounts of state aid. Lower Township will lose $947,285 (9.57%), Upper Township will lose $602,522 (6.14%), and Wildwood will lose $230,590 (4.62%). Many school districts throughout the county are preparing for difficult budget battles ahead.
KAYAK OWNERS in Stone Harbor may apply for a permit to store two of them at the Municipal Marina. Proof of property ownership is required to enter. A lottery will be held April 11th, and the Borough will notify winners via email. To apply for a kayak permit, click here: https://stoneharbornj.
MAKE YOUR SUMMER VACATION A PRIORITY! How about a sunrise walk on the beach? Cocktails on the deck with friends? An afternoon of fishing? You can do it all right here in Avalon & Stone Harbor! Call me today and I’ll help you find the perfect summer vacation property!
- Fire Pit Friday at the Willow Creek Farm & Winery, music, fire pit, full wine & tapas menu available, 5:30-9PM, Friday March 15
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge Pre-Shiver party, The Reeds, 6-9PM, Friday, March 15
- 14th Annual Comedy Night Social, Cape May Convention Hall, for ticket info call 609-884-9565, 7-10PM, Friday, March 15
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, stories, books, etc, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Kegs & Eggs Pre-Shiver Celebration, Fred’s Tavern, 10AM, Saturday, March 16
- Parade to the 96th Street beach from behind Fred’s Tavern, starts at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge, 96th Street Beach, following the parade from Fred’s Tavern which begins at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Apple Computer, iPads & iPhones Drop-In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3:30PM, Saturday, March 16
- Sea Isle City St. Patrick’s Celebration, festivities throughout town from 2PM, parade along Landis Avenue beginning at 3:30PM, Saturday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior, pick-up on Monday, March 18
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, enjoy tea & shared memories of Avalon, 11AM-Noon, Thursday, March 21
- Genealogy Discussion featuring Casey Zahn, tips on researching your family history, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, March 23
- Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Dinner & Winter Lecture Series, bring a dish to serve at least 8 people to share, Dr. Lenore Tedesco will present a program titled, ‘Celebrating 50 years of Coastal & Wetland Research…Conservation & Education at the Wetlands Institute’, 6PM, Friday, March 29
- Sea Isle City City’s Girls’ Weekend, specials & discounts throughout town at the shops & restaurants, Friday through Sunday, April 5-7
- Underground Railroad in Cape May County, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM, Saturday, April 6
- Clean Ocean Action Stone Harbor Volunteer Beach Sweep, meet at the Stone Harbor Beach Patrol Headquarters at 95th Street & the beach, bring gloves & dress appropriately for the weather, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, April 13
- Stone Harbor Chamber of Commerce Job Fair, Coffee Talk at 97th & Third Avenue, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, April 13
- Easter Egg Hunt at the Stone Harbor Volunteer Fire House, Noon-2PM, Saturday, April 13
351 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $520,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186533
242 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186539
129 10th Street, Avalon, $1,679,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186588
371 20th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186563
391 20th Street, Avalon, $2,550,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186559
119 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,925,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186565
65 E. 15th Street, Avalon, $3,500,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186561
76 W. 33rd Street, Avalon, $3,999,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186598
Properties Under Contract:
3030 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,100,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182309
248 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,539,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184769
156 101st Street, Stone Harbor, $1,750,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186350
265 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,799,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185768
250 107th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184880
272 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,195,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185469
274 65th Street, Avalon, $2,595,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 183473
2689 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $3,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185653
317 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $520,000, SOLD MLS#: 185144
305 109th Street, Stone Harbor, $790,000, SOLD MLS#: 180598
65 W. 21st Street, Avalon, $2,175,000, SOLD MLS#: 185186
174 76th Street, Avalon, $3,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 185991
4345 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $3,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 185327