“THE AVALON HOUSE,” an 1895 Victorian home that was saved from demolition by one of its former occupants, then moved from Avalon to a storage location offshore, has been moved to its new location in Cape May. Last week the home, which had been disassembled into large sections for its move out of Avalon, was transported to Texas Avenue in Cape May where it will eventually be reassembled. Adrienne Scharnikow, who spent summers in the home as a child, purchased the structure for $1 from a developer who owned the Avalon lot on which it sat, in order to prevent it from being demolished. Moving the house from its temporary storage location in Egg Harbor Township to Cape May took several hours, as the house sections were transported along back roads at low speeds. The Wildwood Video Archive has produced a nice video summary of the move (above). Below, a section of the house is seen on 29th Street as it left Avalon in 2018.
A section of the house is transported down 29th Street as it left Avalon in 2018.
AVALON SAND BACKPASSING: Avalon is planning a sand backpassing project, which would move sand from borrow sites and deposit it on north end beaches impacted by erosion over the winter. About 50,000 cubic yards of sand would be moved by trucks on the beach. The borough is seeking an emergency permit for the project from the NJ DEP and expects to receive it. Heavy equipment used to conduct the project will not be available in May, so the project could start in April—a month earlier than the borough would prefer, due to the risk of damage to newly filled beaches from spring storms. The borough has conducted sand backpassing operations in the past, in between larger hydraulic beach fill projects.
MARKET STATS: The number of active listings fell last month, as tight inventory continues to influence the number of sales in the local market. Interest rates have eased a bit, supporting continued demand for properties. For a detailed look at the market, see the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report:
NEW JERSEY BOATERS must carry a valid New Jersey Boating Certificate when operating vessels in New Jersey waters. The US Coast Guard Auxiliary is conducting several boating safety classes in Cape May during the coming months. Check out the list of classes here: http://wow.uscgaux.
A VIEW FROM ABOVE! This eagle has frequently been seen perched upon the top of a utility pole along Stone Harbor Boulevard. Eagles have made a strong recovery in recent decades, and many of them have been spotted in Cape May County. This one enjoys an unmatched view from his perch way above the rest of us!
9 WEEKS TO MEMORIAL DAY! Want to visit Avalon & Stone Harbor for a week? Want to stay for a lifetime? Either way, call me today!
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, enjoy tea & shared memories of Avalon, 11AM-Noon, Thursday, March 21
- Genealogy Discussion featuring Casey Zahn, tips on researching your family history, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, March 23
- Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Dinner & Winter Lecture Series, bring a dish to serve at least 8 people to share, Dr. Lenore Tedesco will present a program titled, ‘Celebrating 50 years of Coastal & Wetland Research…Conservation & Education at the Wetlands Institute’, 6PM, Friday, March 29
- Sea Isle City’s Girls’ Weekend, specials & discounts throughout town at the shops & restaurants, Friday through Sunday, April 5-7
- Underground Railroad in Cape May County, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM, Saturday, April 6
- Clean Ocean Action Stone Harbor Volunteer Beach Sweep, meet at the Stone Harbor Beach Patrol Headquarters at 95th Street & the beach, bring gloves & dress appropriately for the weather, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, April 13
- Avalon Home and Land Owners Association 12th Annual Community Connections, 9:30AM for refreshments, 10-11AM for Hot Topic Talks (Lenore Tedesco discussing The Wetlands Institute 50th Anniversary Celebration & Scott Wahl discussing Avalon’s New Construction Ordinances), Information table displays from 11AM-Noon, Saturday, April 13
- Avalon Home and Land Owners’ Monthly Meeting, Discussion of Avalon’s proposed budget by Council Members Nancy Hudanich & Charles Covington along with Boro Financial Director James Craft, Avalon Senior Center, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, April 13
- Stone Harbor Chamber of Commerce Job Fair, Coffee Talk at 97th & Third Avenue, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, April 13
- Easter Egg Hunt at the Stone Harbor Volunteer Fire House, Noon-2PM, Saturday, April 13
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Friday, April 19
- Avalon’s Easter Egg Hunt, 12th Street Fields, 10AM, Saturday, April 20
- Avalon’s Annual Dune Grass Planting, meet at Community Hall at 8:30AM, Saturday, April 27
2825 S. Dune Drive, Avalon, $725,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186713
3984 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $959,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 186687
1025 Dune Drive, Avalon, $2,075,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 186711
Properties Under Contract:
3465 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $810,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186492
36 W. 12th Street, Avalon, $1,875,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186654
4521 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $2,099,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185572
2407 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $2,199,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 183181
26 E. 9th Street, Avalon, $3,050,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184140
8 111th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,500,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186031
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
395 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,030,000, SOLD MLS#: 184984
527 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 185043
384 E. 40th Street, Avalon, $1,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 182794
198 10th Street, Avalon, $1,920,000, SOLD MLS#: 184189
305 76th Street, Avalon, $2,545,000, SOLD MLS#: 177756