MARKET STATS: 40 Properties were sold during the month of September, up slightly over August, and down just slightly from September last year. The number of active listings continued to shrink, dropping to 219 last month, down slightly from last year. For a detailed look at the market see the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report below.
THE AVALON BOULEVARD BRIDGE will undergo repairs during the offseason. A re-decking project is expected to begin later this year and continue until May 2020, when work will be halted for the summer season. In September 2020 work will resume and is expected to finish in May 2021. Temporary traffic signals will be erected on either side of the bridge, limiting traffic to one alternating lane during the bulk of the project.
STONE HARBOR’S DUNES will not be utilized to provide sand to replenish beaches, according to a recent decision by Borough Council. The council debated the merits of using sand from dunes that have grown larger than the “template” size established in 2005, and then spreading that sand on the beaches to increase their size. The council eventually decided the dunes should be left intact, so that sand removed from them and added to beaches would not be lost to winter storms. Hereford Inlet has been a traditional “borrow” site for hydraulic beach replenishment, but a US Fish and Wildlife Service ruling banned the removal of sand from that area three years ago, due to the area’s ecological sensitivity.
MEANWHILE, DREDGING EQUIPMENT has been mobilized in Townsend’s Inlet, which will be the source of sand for Avalon’s hydraulic beach replenishment project. The first pipes and equipment arrived early last week, with the actual dredge arriving last Friday. Three tugboats were used to position the dredge, piping, and other equipment in the inlet.
The dredge arrived in Townsend’s Inlet last Friday and began preparing to pump sand onto Avalon’s beaches.
CAPE MAY COUNTY AMONG TOP “VACATION HOME COUNTIES”: A recent National Association of Realtors report ranks the top “vacation home counties,” defined as counties where at least 20% of all home purchases are for vacation usage. Cape May County ranks third on the nationwide list, with 50.6% of homes purchased for vacation purposes. Topping the list are Nantucket and Dukes Counties in Massachusetts, with each at 55.6%. Nantucket County also ranks as the most expensive, with an estimated median sale price of $1,000,000 according to the report. Cape May County ranks 14th with a median price of $317,427, due to its higher percentage of year-round homes.
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, Avalon Community Hall, 8:30AM, Saturday, October 26 (Rain Date – Sunday, October 27)
- Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep, 8th Street & Avalon Avenue, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, October 26
- Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep, join the Boro of Stone Harbor, Stone Harbor Property Owners Association & Wetlands Institute, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, October 26
- Crafts & Collectibles By the Sea Show, Cape May Convention Hall, 10AM-4PM, Saturday, October 26
- Kids’ Harvest Festival, dress up in costume & Trick or Treat throughout the shops & businesses, live animal show, free hay rides, kids’ crafts, downtown 96th Street, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, October 26
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat, 30th Street parking lot, 5-8PM, Saturday, October 26
- Avalon & Stone Harbor’s Trick or Treat Night, 5-8PM, Thursday, October 31
- American Legion Post #331 Veteran’s Day Ceremony, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Monday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veteran’s Day Ceremony, 117th Street & Second Avenue, Noon, Monday, November 11
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, Noon-8PM, Wednesday, November 27 & Friday, November 29
- Diller Vacation Home for Blind Children Turkey Trot 5K Run/1 Mile Walk, meet at Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Friday, November 29
- Avalon’s Festive Friday with over 40 holiday activities throughout downtown, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 29
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday Weekend, pet parade, fun family scavenger hunt, Merchants’ Hospitality Night on Friday, Small Business Saturday & Annual Christmas Parade, Friday & Saturday November 29 & 30
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, family friendly activities throughout downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 30
414 Avalon Blvd., Avalon Manor, $145,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190130
211 119th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190125
65 W. 11th Street, Avalon, $2,715,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190168
35 E. 24th Street, Avalon, $4,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190137
Properties Under Contract:
281 29th Street, Avalon, $925,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190100
7704 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,299,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184726
220 40th Street, Avalon, $1,795,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189995
26 E. 12th Street, Avalon, $2,279,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187718
133 98th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188136
11501 Paradise Drive, Stone Harbor, $5,150,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187551
4819 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $5,295,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187819
8300 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $435,000, SOLD MLS#: 188414
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
8610 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 187708
239 53rd Street, Avalon, $1,350,000, SOLD MLS#: 187645
365 92nd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,351,000, SOLD MLS#: 189231
371 20th Street, Avalon, $2,090,000, SOLD MLS#: 186564
10 Seagull Drive, Avalon, $3,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 189579
205 54th Street, Avalon, $3,185,000, SOLD MLS#: 187727
4602 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $3,225,000, SOLD MLS#: 190144
51 Pelican Drive, Avalon, $5,200,000, SOLD MLS#: 185790