An osprey returns to its nest during an early summer evening.
HEREFORD INLET DREDGING DECISION: After a meeting in Washington, DC, US Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt reversed the position of the US Fish and Wildlife Service that had prevented the pumping of sand from Hereford Inlet for local beach replenishment using non-emergency funding. The 2016 decision prevented Stone Harbor from using sand accumulated in Hereford Inlet during a 2017 hydraulic beachfill project; during that beach replenishment, sand was pumped from Townsend’s Inlet to Stone Harbor beaches, at an additional cost of $6 million. Allowing the use of sand from Hereford Inlet will allow future beach replenishment projects to be conducted with greater ease and less cost. Attending the recent meeting were representatives from Avalon, Stone Harbor, and North Wildwood; US Congressman Jeff Van Drew was instrumental in addressing the issue and organized the meeting.
AVALON BOULEVARD BRIDGE WORK is expected to begin as early as Monday, according to a temporary lighted sign placed alongside the roadway. The re-decking of the Ingrams Thorofare Bridge will take two years, with work occurring during the off season only. Temporary lane closures are expected during portions of the work, with traffic flowing in alternate directions.
A TWO-ALARM FIRE occurred at 8811 Third Avenue last week. When fire personnel arrived on the scene fire was visible through the second floor window, and spread to the third floor, attic, and roof. The fire was brought under control in about an hour. All six condominium units were unoccupied, and no injuries occurred. Along with Stone Harbor, fire companies from Cape May Court House, Green Creek, Rio Grande, Dennisville, and Avalon responded.
DEER MATING SEASON leads to an increase in collisions between deer and motor vehicles. Between late October and mid-December, deer are often seen running across the Garden State Parkway and other local roadways, as bucks chase does. Deer are most active around sunrise and sunset when visibility is reduced; slow down at dawn and dusk, especially if you see one or more deer along the side of the road.
PLAN AHEAD FOR HOLIDAY FUN! Each year Thanksgiving Weekend kicks off the holiday season here on Seven Mile Beach, with activities all weekend long. Many are listed below!
- Great Decisions with Katrinka Somdall-Sands, Assistant Professor of Political Science at Rutgers University, discussion program on world affairs, Avalon Free Public Library, 5:45-7:45PM, Thursday, November 7
- Genealogy Drop-In Workshop with Casey Zahm, Avalon Free Public Library, call or stop in to schedule a one on one time between 1 & 3PM, Friday, November 8
- American Legion Post #331 Veteran’s Day Ceremony, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Monday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veteran’s Day Ceremony, 117th Street & Second Avenue, Noon, Monday, November 11
- Feature Film: The Art of Racing in the Rain, staring Keven Kostner, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-8PM, Tuesday, November 12
- Creative Writing, tips & feedback on stories, memoirs and poetry, register at Avalon Free Public Library at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, November 16
- 13th Annual Striper Tournament sponsored by Carpenters Local #255 supporting Brendan’s Endowed Fund at CHOP, Awards Dinner, Cape May VFW, 5PM, Saturday, November 23
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, 5PM on Wednesday, November 27 & noon to 8PM on Friday, November 29
- 17th Annual Turkey Trot sponsored by Cape May fitness supporting Brendan’s Endowed Fund at CHOP, check in at 8AM at Cape May Fitness at 3860 Bayshore Road in Cape May, 5K begins at 9AM, Thursday, November 28
- Diller Vacation Home for Blind Children Turkey Trot 5K Run/1 Mile Walk, meet at Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Friday, November 29
- Avalon’s Festive Friday with over 40 holiday activities throughout downtown Avalon, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 29
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday Weekend, pet parade, family fun, scavenger hunt, Merchants’ Hospitality Night on Friday, Small Business Saturday & Annual Christmas Parade on Saturday evening at 6:30PM, Friday & Saturday November 29 & 30
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, family friendly activities throughout downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 30
- Stone Harbor Caroling & Tree Lighting, 95th Street & Second Avenue, 4:45-7PM, Wednesday, December 4
- Sea Isle City’s Holiday Stroll, activities, entertainment & crafts throughout town with shops offering specials & sales, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, December 7
- Avalon Historical Society Holiday Party & Annual Meeting, Avalon History Center, 4-7PM, Saturday, December 7
224 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190370
2529 Ocean Drive, East, Avalon, $1,199,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190379
65 E. 11th Street, Avalon, $2,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190336
291 44th Street, Avalon, $2,599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190329
168 67th Street, Avalon, $6,799,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190347
Properties Under Contract:
7929 Dune Drive, Avalon, $389,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188934
8001 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $499,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190075
88 W. 32nd Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188909
385 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,550,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189101
190 72nd Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187856
70 W. 24th Street, Avalon, $3,095,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189253
703 21st Street, Avalon, $450,000, SOLD MLS#: 189130
30 Channel Road, Avalon Manor, $600,000, SOLD MLS#: 187493
7889 Sunset Drive, Avalon, $949,900, SOLD MLS#: 190309
402 20th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 189384
244 17th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 188014
64 W. 27th Street, Avalon, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 188403
246 43rd Street, Avalon, $1,625,000, SOLD MLS#: 188858
132 13th Street, Avalon, $1,800,000, SOLD MLS#: 188718
130 108th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,196,000, SOLD MLS#: 188611
158 36th Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, SOLD MLS#: 185715
319 62nd Street, Avalon, $3,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 184797