The sun sinks behind homes in Avalon’s Lagoon section, late on a winter afternoon.
MARKET STATS: The number of sales declined slightly during the month of October, while the median sale price was up significantly over last October. The number of active listings continues to decrease, and the tight inventory level has impacted the market by driving up prices. For a detailed look at the market check out the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report.
AVALON’S EIGHTH STREET JETTY will be repaired this winter by construction firm South State, Inc., who was awarded a $2.5 million contract by Avalon Borough Council. Work will take place throughout the winter. The jetty was damaged by Winter Storm Jonas in early 2016.
YOUR “BLUE MIND”—WHY BEING NEAR WATER REALLY DOES MAKE US HAPPIER: An article in Conde Nast Traveler explains what most of us feel in the presence of water—a sense of peace, reduced stress, and feelings of clarity and calm. Dr. Wallace J. Nichols wrote a book, titled Blue Mind, about the physical and psychological benefits of being near water. Dr. Wallace is quoted in the article as saying “Our oceans, waterways, and the life they contain are so much more than their ecological, economic, and educational value. They have vast emotional benefits. They make life on earth possible, but also worth living.” For an enjoyable read, check out the article here: https://www.cntraveler.
OPERATION FIRESIDE is being organized again this year, and will provide Coast Guard recruits based in Cape May with a taste of home on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. More than 350 recruits who are away from home during the holidays are expected to be hosted by local families for a home-cooked holiday meal. Operation Fireside is now in its 35th year. If you’re interested in hosting a recruit, contact the Red Cross Operation Fireside Program at firstname.lastname@example.org
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND is one you don’t want to miss here on the Island!
– Avalon kicks off the holiday season with Festive Friday and Snowfest Saturday, and town will be buzzing with holiday activities including letters to Santa, wine tasting, and holiday music. Check the full listing here: https://www.
– Stone Harbor celebrates An Island Holiday Friday & Saturday, including breakfast with Frosty, photos with Santa, a tree lighting ceremony, and a huge Christmas parade Saturday evening. Check the full listing here: https://stoneharbornj.
- Great Decisions with Katrinka Somdall-Sands, Assistant Professor of Political Science at Rutgers University, discussion program on world affairs, Avalon Free Public Library, 5:45-7:45PM, Thursday, November 21
- Mystery Book Club led by moderator, Dorothy Pearson, title for November is ‘The Rumor,’ register at Avalon Free Public Library at 609-967-7155 & complimentary copies of the book may be available, 6-7:30PM, Thursday, November 21
- 13th Annual Striper Tournament sponsored by Carpenters Local #255 supporting Brendan’s Endowed Fund at CHOP, Awards Dinner, Cape May VFW, 5PM, Saturday, November 23
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier at 260-20th Street, 5PM on Wednesday, November 27 & noon to 8PM on Friday, November 29
- 17th Annual Turkey Trot sponsored by Cape May fitness supporting Brendan’s Endowed Fund at CHOP, check in at 8AM at Cape May Fitness at 3860 Bayshore Road in Cape May, 5K begins at 9AM, Thursday, November 28
- Diller Vacation Home for Blind Children Turkey Trot 5K Run/1 Mile Walk, meet at Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Friday, November 29
- Story Time with Mrs. Claus, holiday stories, songs & a craft for children, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-10:45AM, Friday, November 29
- Avalon’s Festive Friday with over 40 holiday activities throughout downtown Avalon, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 29
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday Weekend, pet parade, family fun, scavenger hunt, Merchants’ Hospitality Night on Friday, & Small Business Saturday Friday & Saturday November 29 & 30
- Apple Computers, iPads & iPhones Drop In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, November 30
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, family friendly activities throughout downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 30
- Stone Harbor Christmas Parade throughout the business district, Saturday evening at 6:30PM
- Sea Isle City’s Holiday Stroll, activities, entertainment & crafts throughout town with shops offering specials & sales, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, December 7
- Avalon Historical Society Holiday Party & Annual Meeting, Avalon History Center, 4-7PM, Saturday, December 7
- Avalon Garden Club’s Trip to Longwood Gardens, bus departs at 1PM from Avalon Community Hall, reserve by December 5 by calling Irene at 267-251-0376 or Cookie at 609-675-4976, trip is on Thursday, December 19
754 Sunrise Drive, East, Avalon, $899,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190530
300 78th Street, Avalon, $995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190500
158 15th Street, Avalon, $1,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190546
8523 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190479
7428 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $3,175,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 190515
Properties Under Contract:
261 89th Street, East, Stone Harbor, $1,700,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188381
295 55th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185590
8514 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $2,695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187660
7888 Dune Drive, #218, Avalon, $410,000, SOLD MLS#: 189810
7888 Dune Drive, #116, Avalon, $410,000, SOLD MLS#: 189706
7888 Dune Drive, #318, Avalon, $420,000, SOLD MLS#: 189811
103 30th Street, Avalon, $599,000, SOLD MLS#: 185744
22 Weber Court, Stone Harbor, $627,500, SOLD MLS#: 189655
10009 Sunset Drive, #3, Stone Harbor, $760,000, SOLD MLS#: 188583
2138 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $1,199,000, SOLD MLS#: 189641
1005 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,300,000, SOLD MLS#: 185824
197 66th Street, Avalon, $2,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 190484
221 65th Street, Avalon, $3,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 189298
4819 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $4,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 187819