MARKET STATS: the first quarter of 2014 saw 103 sales in the local market (down 8.4% versus the first quarter of 2013), while the average sale price increased to $1,286,669 (up 9.5%). The median sale price increased to $1,100,000 in the first quarter, up 17.0%. Factors driving the market? Low interest rates (good) and lots of snow and ice (bad). Hopefully good weather in the second quarter will bring good things to the market!
MORE ON THE FLOOD INSURANCE ACT: the recent passage of the Homeowner Flood Insurance Act of 2014 will benefit both buyers of shore properties, as well as current shore property owners. Nick Kiniry of Long & Foster Insurance can provide a more detailed description of the changes, but the key details include limits on annual premium increases, grandfathering of properties built to code at the time they were constructed, and the repeal of a provision requiring an immediate premium increase when a home is sold. If you’d like more information on the changes email me and I’ll send you Nick’s detailed description.
THE TOWNSEND’S INLET BRIDGE is expected to reopen on April 30th but intermittent lane closures are still expected after that date. The bridge, which links Avalon with Sea Isle City, is currently undergoing much-needed repair work but weather has been a factor in completing the work. After the reopening of the bridge to traffic, the lane closures will be kept to a minimum.
OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO another local bridge was opened with great fanfare, including a visit from then-Governor Woodrow Wilson. Now known as the 96th Street Bridge, the South Jersey Realty Company referred to the bridge as part of the Stone Harbor Ocean Parkway, as shown in the postcard below. The South Jersey Realty Company was responsible for much of the early development of Stone Harbor and promoted its “Highly Improved Lots” using postcards such as the one below.
SEA ISLE CITY broke ground on a new 29,000 square-foot building to house the city’s operations. The building, located on JFK Boulevard, is expected to open a little more than a year from now.
IF CHICAGO is “your kind of town” you’ll have an easy time getting there from your shore home! United Airlines recently became the second airline to offer scheduled service to Chicago from nearby Atlantic City International Airport. Plenty of other non-stop destinations are available, too, on United as well as Spirit Airlines, including Houston, Orlando, and Fort Lauderdale. For info on Atlantic City International Airport visit Atlantic City International Airport Online.
WE’RE FORTUNATE to have many beautiful homes available for sale and rent here on the Island-but on occasion something truly stunning comes along. The home shown below is in that category! Its location in Avalon’s high dune area means the setting is not only extraordinary, but provides for amazing views too. Now you can enjoy a slice of heaven–this home is available for rent for select weeks at $17,500 per week! For more details visit RealTimeRental Property 118465 or call me!
- Sea Isle City’s Girls’ Weekend, specials & discounts at shops & restaurants, Friday, April 4 – Sunday, April 6
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by Flotilla 83, Island Marine Center in Ocean View, register at 609-624-1117, 8AM – 5PM, Saturday, April 5
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, volunteers needed, complimentary lunch will be provided, call Brian at 609-967-3066 to help, Avalon Community Hall, 8:30 AM, Saturday, April 5
- iPad Workshop: Google Docs & Drive, Avalon Public Library, 609-967-7155 to register, 10AM – Noon, Saturday, April 5
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by Flotilla 83, Pier 47 Marina in Wildwood, register at 609-886-6243, 8AM – 5PM, Saturday, April 12
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, US Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May, register at 609-898-0442, 8:30AM – 4:30PM, Saturday April 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners’ Community Connections event, Tom Thornton will speak about the back bay dredging project & Lenore Tedesco will discuss The Wetlands Institute, Avalon Community Hall, 9:30AM, Saturday, April 12
- Stone Harbor’s Job Fair, apply at participating stores in the shopping district, 11AM – 3PM, Saturday, April 12
- Stone Harbor Fire Company Easter Egg Hunt, 96th Street & Second Avenue, Noon, Saturday, April 12
- Big Band Dance, Avalon’s Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, April 12
- Wetlands Institute Turtle Fest, pancake breakfast, games, prizes, crafts, lots of live turtles, 9AM – 3PM, Saturday, April 19
- Avalon Easter Egg Hunt, Eighth Street Playground, 10AM, Saturday, April 19
- Spring Beach Sweep in Stone Harbor, sign up & supplies at 95th Street & the Beach, 9AM – 12:30PM, Saturday, April 26
- Free Rabies Clinic, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 2 – 3PM, Saturday, April 26
- 9th Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Brendan Borek’s High Tides Memorial Fund, Stone Harbor Golf Club, register with Lisa at 609-231-6488, 12:30PM, Friday, May 2
- Avalon Bulk Pick-Up, items to curb from Friday, May 2 until Sunday, May 11
- Derby Fun Day & Seafood Festival, clamshell pitching, decorated derby hat contest, music, seafood, kids’ activities, more on 96th Street, 10AM start, Saturday, May 3
- Big Band Dance, Avalon’s Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, May 3
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce’s Wine & Spirit Festival, wine & vodka samplings, appetizers, silent auction, more, tickets at Fred’s Avalon Liquor Store, 6:30 – 9PM, Friday, May 9
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by Flotilla 83, Cape May Court House Library, call 609-463-6350 to register, 8AM – 5PM, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon’s Community Paper Shredding Day, Public Works Center at 15th Street & Dune Drive, 9AM – 2PM, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon’s Annual Town Wide Yard Sale sponsored by the Avalon Garden Club, 609-967-3446 for info, 9AM – 3PM, Saturday, May 10
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, US Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May, register at 609-898-0442, 8:30AM – 4:30PM, Saturday, May 17
- Stone Harbor Community Paper Shredding Day, 95th Street parking lot at the beach, 9AM – 1PM, Saturday, May 17
- Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival sponsored by the Wetlands Institute & the Delaware Bay Shorebird Initiative, guided shorebird walks & viewings, live demonstrations, much more, Wetlands Institute, 9AM start time, Saturday, May 17 & Sunday, May 18
575 22nd Street, Avalon, $480,000, SOLD MLS#: 156408
290 27th Street, Avalon, $700,000, SOLD MLS#: 142892
373 40th Street West Unit, Avalon, $808,000, SOLD MLS#: 150122
286 54th Street, Avalon, $1,075,000, SOLD MLS#: 154883
1148 Avalon Ave., Avalon, $1,350,000, SOLD MLS#: 153894
4705 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $1,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 146036
140 108th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,491,400, SOLD MLS#: 150653
314 94th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,570,000, SOLD MLS#: 151461
159 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,850,000, SOLD MLS#: 155070
4209 Bayberry Road, Avalon, $3,950,000, SOLD MLS#: 136953