THE UNION LEAGUE of Philadelphia has acquired the Backyard Restaurant in Stone Harbor and is planning to operate it as a members-only BYOB restaurant for the upcoming season. The club plans to open the restaurant by Memorial Day.
ALSO OPENING this season is “Chill,” a new roof-top restaurant overlooking 96th Street. The restaurant is currently under construction, at the location of a former miniature golf course. It, too, will be BYOB, and is expected to open in late June.
BUSCH’S SEAFOOD: TAKEOUT ONLY. The Atlantic City Press reported that Busch’s Seafood in Sea Isle City will serve takeout food only this season, as its owners scale back their operation. The Press reported that the lounge and liquor store will operate as usual. Busch’s has been a part of Sea Isle City’s landscape since the 1800s.
LIFEGUARDS WANTED! Avalon Beach Patrol will be hiring lifeguards for the 2014 summer season. On June 7th the beach patrol will test applicants with a ¾ mile swim and a ¼ mile run and surf dash. If you’d like to apply for the quintessential summer job, click here: http://avalonboro.net/wp-
THE TOWNSEND’S INLET BRIDGE is still undergoing repairs and did not reopen on April 30th as planned. Instead, the bridge is expected to open on May 15th.
THE ANTICIPATION of a new summer season is upon us! Signs are everywhere: flowers have been planted, decks have been power washed, restaurants are reopening, and boats are being launched! Plan to set aside some time this summer to enjoy your family and your favorite activities. Better yet, consider purchasing your own shore property, and make family memories that will last a lifetime! Call me at (800) 967-7796 to get started—there’s still time to be in by summer!
- 9th Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Brendan Borek’s High Tides Memorial Fund, Stone Harbor Golf Club, register with Lisa at 609-231-6488, 12:30PM, Friday, May 2
- Avalon Bulk Pick-Up, items to curb from Friday, May 2 until Sunday, May 11
- Avalon Garden Club Plant Sale, Community Hall, 9AM, Friday, May 2 – Saturday, May 3
- Derby Fun Day & Seafood Festival, clamshell pitching, decorated derby hat contest, music, seafood, kids’ activities, watch the Kentucky Derby, more on 96th Street, 10AM start, Saturday, May 3
- iPad Workshop discussing Pinterest, Instagram & Stellar, Avalon Public Library, 609-967-7155 to register, 10AM – Noon, Saturday, May 3
- Big Band Dance, Avalon’s Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, May 3
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior, Monday, May 5
- Avalon Historical Society Annual Photography Contest, photos on display throughout the month, Avalon Historical Center, 609-967-0090 for info, Tuesday, May 6 – Saturday, May 31
- Stone Harbor’s Garden Club Annual Plant & Bake Sale, Water Tower lot, 8AM – 2:30PM, Friday, May 9 & Saturday, May 10
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce’s Wine & Spirit Festival, wine & vodka samplings, appetizers, silent auction, more, tickets at Fred’s Avalon Liquor Store, 6:30 – 9PM, Friday, May 9
- Avalon Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary Plant Sale, Avalon Fire House, 8AM – 3PM, Saturday, May 10
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by Flotilla 83, Cape May Court House Library, call 609-463-6350 to register, 8AM – 5PM, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon’s Community Paper Shredding Day, Public Works Center at 15th Street & Dune Drive, 9AM – Noon, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon’s Annual Town Wide Yard Sale sponsored by the Avalon Garden Club, 609-967-3446 for info, 9AM – 3PM, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon Fire Department Hoagie Sale, Avalon Fire House, 10AM – 2PM, Saturday, May 10
- Avalon Police Department Bicycle Auction, Avalon Public Works Building, Noon, Saturday, May 10
- Ceremonial Reenactment of First Borough Council Meeting at Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 609-368-1201 for info, 4PM, Friday, May 16
- Garden Club of Stone Harbor Community Yard Sale, 96th Street parking lot, 8AM – 2PM, Saturday, May 17
- NJ Boating Safety Class offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, US Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May, register at 609-898-0442, 8:30AM – 4:30PM, Saturday, May 17
- Stone Harbor Community Paper Shredding Day, 95th Street parking lot at the beach, 9AM – 1PM, Saturday, May 17
- Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival sponsored by the Wetlands Institute & the Delaware Bay Shorebird Initiative, guided shorebird walks & viewings, live demonstrations, much more, Wetlands Institute, 9AM start time, Saturday, May 17 & Sunday, May 18
Featured Property: Great house and great price! In the beachblock with ocean views from multiple rooms & decks!
205 54th Street, Avalon, $1,095,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 157599
244 88th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,650,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 157609
198 11th Street, Avalon, $1,725,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 157596
328 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 157607
8532 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $3,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 157524
38 W 21st Street, Avalon, $780,000, SOLD MLS#: 153366
1658 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $825,000, SOLD MLS#: 154374
121 17th Street, Avalon, $920,000, SOLD MLS#: 155241
127 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,187,500, SOLD MLS#: 156341
36 E 25th Street, Avalon, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 153028
27 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 139843
46 W 13th Street, Avalon, $1,995,000, SOLD MLS#: 152766
8411 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $2,025,000, SOLD MLS#: 156267