CATCH 9 OPEN HOUSES in Avalon Manor this Saturday from 11am to 2pm. Stop by our office for a list, or simply look for Long & Foster Open House signs!
EVER WONDER what it’s like to ride a stand-up paddleboard while dolphins frolic around you? This two minute video will have you longing for the calm waters just off the beach (you’ll catch a glimpse of Avalon’s shoreline, including the Fishing Pier, too!)
‘SALT MARSH STORIES’ premiers at the Wetlands Institute Thursday, June 12 at 7pm. The original film depicts the history of the salt marshes around Stone Harbor, and the stars of the movie will be present to discuss the film and answer questions. Tickets are $5; call (609) 368-1211 or email email@example.com.
NEW 39TH STREET PARK: In the fall of this year look for a new park at 39th Street & Dune Drive in Avalon. The new park is expected to contain bocce courts, a picnic pavilion, children’s play area, and an area of open lawn.
AVALON, STONE HARBOR, AND MIRAMAR? Today we know that Avalon and Stone Harbor occupy the Seven Mile Beach, but the 48-page prospectus of the South Jersey Realty Company promoted the future of Stone Harbor and Miramar, “lying immediately southward.” It seems the South Jersey Realty Company intended to call the southernmost section of Seven Mile Beach “Miramar,” even referencing the lifesaving station which had already been built there (it still stands at what is now 117th Street.) The name “Miramar” was eventually dropped and the southern three miles of Seven Mile Beach became a part of Stone Harbor.
Does anyone know why (or when) the name “Miramar” was dropped?
This circa 1907 brochure from the South Jersey Realty Company promoted the development of Stone Harbor and Miramar, which was to be the southernmost section of Seven Mile Beach.
HUMPBACK WHALE SIGHTED: Passengers on the Cape May Lewes Ferry were delighted to sight a humpback whale aboard a recent Ferry trip. Other recent sightings include a bald eagle and osprey, while dolphins are regular visitors throughout the summer. Click here for a brief video of the humpback whale: https://www.facebook.com/
THE ‘YANKEE LADY’ paid a visit to the Naval Air Station Wildwood Museum this week. The World War II era B-17 bomber flew in to NASW for walk-through tours as well as paid rides. The B-17 is owned by the Yankee Air Museum of Michigan, and is one of about a dozen still flying. According to one fellow lucky enough to get a ride: “I have a new-found respect for those who flew and fought in them!” Even if you’re not going flying, NASW is worth a visit; its historic hangar houses a collection of vintage aircraft. On display you’ll find everything from a WWII era TBM Avenger to an F-14 Tomcat, plus interactive displays to entertain and educate kids and adults alike!
- Salt Marsh Stories, movie premier depicting the history of the salt marshes of Stone Harbor, Wetlands Institute, call 609-368-1211 for info, 7PM, Thursday, June 12
- Coach Ridgway’s individual & small group basketball instruction in Stone Harbor at the 82nd Street Rec Field, Fridays & Saturdays, 6 – 7:30PM, call 609-233-2765 for info, 1st session on Friday, June 13
- Naval Air Station Wildwood Runway 5K & 1 Mile Fun Walk, compete on the runway at Cape May County Airport, 7 – 11AM, Saturday, June 14
- Avalon Lions Club Pancake Breakfast, Avalon Community Hall, 8AM – Noon, Saturday, June 14
- Annual Stone Harbor Property Owners’ Association Meeting, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 9AM, Saturday, June 14
- Avalon Historical Society 2nd Annual Miniature Golf Competition, call 609-967-0090 for info, 9AM – Noon, Saturday, June 14
- Avalon Home & Land Owners’ Association Annual Public Safety Meeting, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, June 14
- Avalon Library Computer Class ‘Easy Websites for Personal Use,’ call 609-967-7155 for info, 10AM – Noon, Saturday June 14
- Long & Foster’s Avalon Manor Open House Tour, stop in office at 30th Street & Dune Drive for a list of select properties available for preview in Avalon Manor, 11AM – 2PM, Saturday, June 14
- American Legion Post 331 Flag Day Ceremony, 117th Street & Second Avenue, Noon, Saturday, June 14
- Big Band Dance, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, June 14
- First United Methodist Church of Avalon’s Strawberry Festival, Call 609-967-4204 for info, 7 – 9PM, Saturday, June 14
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market Opening Day, Water Tower Parking Lot, 95th Street & Second Avenue, call 609-368-5102 for info, 8AM – Noon, Sunday, June 15 & every Sunday through September 7
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour, meet at the Egret Espy Path on Second Avenue, 10AM, Sunday, June 15
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Art Show, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM – 4PM, Saturday, June 21
- Avalon Historical Society 11th Annual Olde House Tour, 609-967-0090 for info, 1 – 4PM, Saturday, June 21
- Kids’ Beach Day/Marine Mammal Stranding Center, 30th Street Beach Pavilion, call 609-967-3066 for info, 10AM, Monday, June 23
- Kids Mini Event, Haldini Magic, 30th & Dune Drive at the Avalon Firefighter’s Memorial, 6:30PM, Monday June 23
- Big Beach Movie ‘Frozen,’ 30th Street beach in Avalon, 8:45PM or dark, Tuesday, June 24
9816 Second Avenue Unit 11, Stone Harbor, $233,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 158281
8811 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $439,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158334
8931 Second Avenue Unit 1, Stone Harbor, $559,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 158316
645 21st Street, Avalon, $595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158393
133 Meadowview Drive, Avalon Manor, $685,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158433
376 40th Street, East, Avalon, $725,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158371
9820 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $779,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158415
2559 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158313
401 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158414
1025 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158314
622 7th Street, Avalon, $1,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158389
64 E 16th Street, Avalon, $1,995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158372
11609 Paradise Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,145,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 158404
294 70th Street, Avalon, $2,349,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 158309
9303 Third Avenue Unit #1, Stone Harbor, $370,000, SOLD MLS#: 154287
314 79th Street, Avalon, $660,000, SOLD MLS#: 156983
309 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $749,000, SOLD MLS#: 136976
32 Hallman Road, Stone Harbor Manor, $790,000, SOLD MLS#: 154587
158 15th Street, Avalon, $815,000, SOLD MLS#: 147152
138 110th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 157960
4008 Bayberry Road, Avalon, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 154657
3547 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 155590
225 91st Street, Stone Harbor, $1,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 154887
589 Sunrise Drive, Avalon, $1,860,000, SOLD MLS#: 150857
44 E 21st Street, Avalon, $1,875,000, SOLD MLS#: 155191
53 E 15th Street, Avalon, $2,215,000, SOLD MLS#: 154862
181 66th Street, Avalon, $2,450,000, SOLD MLS#: 155383
162 65th Street, Avalon, $7,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 156393