Even a chilly, gray sky can be beautiful! Here, an almost colorless sunset takes place along Avalon Boulevard last week. The blues, oranges, and reds of summer sunsets will be back soon!
A FEW INCHES OF SNOW blanketed most of Cape May County this past Sunday morning, after falling most of the overnight hours. Cold temperatures for several days prior meant the snow stuck to most surfaces, but by the afternoon, streets on the Island were clear. Most of the remaining snow should be gone by the weekend.
A FIRE DAMAGED A HOME on 102nd Street in Stone Harbor Sunday afternoon. Stone Harbor fire crews extinguished the fire and contained it to the rear of the home, which was heavily damaged. No one was injured in the fire. Crews from Avalon, Cape May Court House, and Green Creek assisted Stone Harbor.
SEA ISLE BOULEVARD PAVING was to resume this week, but frigid temperatures delayed the start of the work until next week. If completed it would leave paved travel lanes plus shoulders in each direction, with no concrete barrier in between. A final topcoat will be added to the roadway in the spring. The Sea Isle Boulevard project was undertaken to raise the roadway several feet to alleviate flooding concerns.
THE HISTORY OF AVALON, NOW ONLINE: Bill Mengel of the Avalon History Center has given some fascinating talks detailing the early years of Avalon, complete with slides illustrating all aspects of the town’s development. If you haven’t been able to catch one of Bill’s talks live, you can enjoy the next best thing: a three-part video series narrated by Bill, detailing Avalon’s history. From early developers to railroads, hotels, homes, maps and more, Bill provides a fascinating description of how Avalon used to be. You can watch part one right here: https://www.youtube.
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, enjoy tea & share memories of Old Avalon, 11AM-Noon, Thursday, January 17
- Drop in Tech Workshop for Apple computers, iPads & iPhones, help with your Apple devices, Avalon Free Public Library, 5:30-7PM, Thursday, January 17
- Food Bank Collections for Holy Redeemer Food Bank & Cape May County Animal Shelter in observance of the National Day of Service, staff will be accepting donations at the Avalon Free Public Library, 9AM-5PM, Saturday, January 19
- Lego Competition for kids Grades K-8, Legos provided, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM, Saturday, January 19
- Art Workshop with Joyce Kuhn, use your creativity & decorate your own Valentine Wreath, pre-register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 19
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 19
- Comedy Uncorked, 3 course wine paired dinner & a comedy show, Willow Creek Winery in West Cape May, 6-10PM, Saturday, January 19
- Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Dinner with Guest Speaker, $7 for members, $12 for non-members, bring a dish to share, 6PM, Friday, January 25
- Windows Computer & Android Smartphones Drop-In Tech Workshop, help with your computer, phone, software or an app, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-11:30AM, Saturday, January 26
- Presentation by historian Jerry McNeff, “John & Abigail Adams, The 1st American Power Couple,” Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, February 2
- Friend in Need Super Bowl Bash, silent auction, raffle, big screen TV’s, food, beverages, The Princeton, beginning at 4:30PM, Sunday, February 3
- Genealogy & Ancestry with Casey Zahn, learn about your family history & tracing your roots, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-4PM, Saturday, February 9
- Avalon Beach Party, bring the kids for an indoor beach party including the limbo, music, crafts and a game, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM, Saturday, February 16
- Beck’s Philadelphia Brigade Band, music from an authentic Civil War era brass band performed in dress uniform to commemorate Presidents’ Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, February 16
10120 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $272,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185596
208 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $564,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 185624
580 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185578
149 10th Street, Avalon, $1,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185602
4521 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $2,099,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185572
295 55th Street, Avalon, $2,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185590
Properties Under Contract:
65 W. 34th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184169
65 W. 21st Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185186
517 20th Street, Avalon, $2,495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184868
243 22nd Street, Avalon, $682,500, SOLD MLS#: 184113
237 48th Street, Avalon, $1,275,000, SOLD MLS#: 182607
36 W. 19th Street, Avalon, $1,595,000, SOLD MLS#: 185082
2109 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 184599
235 122nd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,850,000, SOLD MLS#: 182049
84 E. 22nd Street, Avalon, $3,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 183850