These pictures of the Nautilus Apartments were sent to us by Long & Foster friend Phil Bolbach. Phil says the 8-unit Nautilus stood on the beach at 89th Street in Stone Harbor, and he has fond memories of staying there. Phil said ,“I loved when we rented there as it was so neat as a young boy to fall asleep listening to the high tide underneath splashing against the pilings.” Alas, the “Storm of ‘62” nor’easter claimed the Nautilus, but not Phil’s memories of his family’s time there! Thanks, Phil!
MARKET STATS: The number of sales and the median sale price were both higher during the month of May compared to a year ago, while the number of active listings and the average “days on market” both declined. Strong demand and low interest rates continue to be major factors influencing the market. For a detailed look at the market see the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report below.
THE GRAND OPENING OF SURFSIDE PARK takes place this weekend in Avalon, as “Jimmy and the Parrots” perform a free concert at 6pm Saturday. A great line up of events is scheduled for Surfside Park all summer long.
CAPE MAY COUNTY TOURISM totaled $6.6 billion in 2018, a $244 million increase over 2017. According to the 2018 Cape May County visitor profile, 8% of visitors were day trippers, 36% stayed 2-4 nights, and 38% stayed a week or more. The largest feeder markets are Pennsylvania (28%), New Jersey (27%), and New York (19%). Cape May County visitors have an 85% return rate!
REMEMBER THE OLD VICTORIAN HOME in Avalon that was carefully disassembled and moved to a storage location off the island? This week it was reassembled at its new location on Texas Avenue in Cape May. Adrienne Scharnikow used to vacation with her family at the home many years ago in Avalon, and later purchased the structure for $1 to prevent it from being demolished. The house was stored offshore for months while Scharnikow searched for a lot on which to rebuild; earlier this year the house was moved to the lot in Cape May, and a new foundation was built to accommodate the structure.
PLAN AHEAD FOR JULY 4TH WEEKEND! An entire weekend’s worth of events is planned, including fireworks displays on the 4th in both Avalon and Stone Harbor! More details to follow!
MAKE YOUR SUMMER BUCKET LIST! Summer officially begins this week, and it’s time to make your “gotta do it” list! Whether it’s taking a sunrise walk on the beach or teaching your grandchild to fish, make your Summer Bucket List, then set aside the time to make it happen!
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, share tea and memories of Avalon, 11AM, Thursday, June 20
- Open House at the Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7PM, Thursday, June 20
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Art Show Preview Night: Celebrating Three Decades of Art, Avalon Elementary School, 6-9PM, Friday, June 21
- Avalon Library Book Bash, fun-filled, family friendly event with kids’ performers, story time, face painting, more, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, June 22
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Art Show: Celebrating Three Decades of Art, Avalon Elementary School, 10AM-4PM, Saturday June 22
- Grand Opening of Avalon’s new Surfside Park, free concert, family friendly activities, Saturday June 22
- Wetlands Institute’s 50th Anniversary Celebration, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, June 22 & June 23
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 23
- Windows Computers & Android Smartphones Drop In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7:30PM, Avalon Free Public Library, Monday, June 24
- Family Night at the Stone Harbor Fire House, 7 PM, Monday, June 24
- Apple Computer, iPad & iPhone Drop in Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7:30PM, Tuesday, June 25
- Avalon’s Beach Movie featuring ‘Christopher Robin,’ 30th Street & the Beach, dusk, Tuesday, June 25
- Avalon Dune & Beach Walk, interpretive walk with a naturalist, meet at 48th Street & Dune Drive, 9:30-10:30AM, Wednesday, June 26
- Avalon Garden Club Fashion Show, The Shore Club, Noon-4PM, Wednesday, June 26
- Motown Documentary, Avalon Free Public Library, 6PM, Wednesday, June 26
- Stone Harbor Beach Game Night, 6:30-8:30PM, Wednesday, June 26
- Flyers Trial on the Isle, Philadelphia Flyers annual excursion to the Jersey Shore, family friendly event, Thursday, June 27
- Thursdays on Dune, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 5:30-7PM for activities, 7-8:30PM for music, Thursday, June 27
- Family Movie Night at the Stone Harbor Library, Thursday, June 27
- Night Out With the Critters at The Cape May County Zoo, behind the scenes at the zoo, 5PM, Friday, June 28
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 30
- Harbor Hustle 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, Sunday, June 30
31 Seabreeze Lane, Avalon Manor, $399,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188213
30 Weber Court, Stone Harbor, $565,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188246
F 14 Stone Court, Stone Harbor, $749,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188203
51 N. Inlet Drive, Avalon, $2,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188237
86 E. 23rd Street, Avalon, $6,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188225
Properties Under Contract:
7800 Dune Drive, Avalon, $275,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187656
249 71st Street, Avalon, $1,700,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188234
573 21st Street, Avalon, $2,049,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187416
262 64th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187788
35 W. 16th Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184160
392 20th Street, Avalon, $405,000, SOLD MLS#: 185822
351 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $505,000, SOLD MLS#: 186533
164 94th Street, Stone Harbor, $999,999, SOLD MLS#: 183694
231 119th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 184610
10 E. 13th Street, Avalon, $2,200,000, SOLD MLS#: 187481
6580 Greenan Road, Avalon, $3,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 183618