The D.H. Ingraham wreck at Stone Harbor Point has been uncovered again over the past few weeks. The photo above, courtesy of Noelle Guest, is from December, 2018, when the wreck first reappeared after many decades beneath the sand.
THE SHIPWRECK at Stone Harbor Point is visible once again, as tides and winds have moved the sand that covered it. The wreck is suspected to be that of the D.H. Ingraham, a wooden cargo ship that was bound for Virginia when it ran aground in Hereford Inlet the night of December 4, 1886, during a nor’easter. All five members of the D.H. Ingraham crew were saved by the crew of the Anglesea Lifesaving Station, who rowed a lifeboat a mile into the wind, waves, and snow to the wreck site. The D.H. Ingraham crew was transported by the lifeboat crew back to Anglesea, where they spent several days. Sand has covered the wreck for years, but it was recently rediscovered this past December, before disappearing beneath the sand again in January.
OFFSHORE WIND POWER is one step closer to becoming reality after the NJ Board of Public Utilities selected the Danish firm Orsted to construct an 1,100 megawatt windfarm 15 miles off Atlantic City. Construction of the $1.6 billion project could begin in 2020, and will be subsidized by an increase of $1.46 per month on residential electric bills, with commercial and industrial customers paying more. Orsted may connect to the power grid at the recently-closed BL England plant in Upper Township; see this Atlantic City Press article for more details: https://www.
SUMMER FISHING is off to a strong start with good catches of summer flounder reported. Weakfish and kingfish are also being caught locally, while offshore tuna fishing has been red hot in the canyons for a few weeks. Need advice on where (or how) to catch ‘em? In Avalon check out Moran’s Dockside (14th & the bay) or Avalon Hodge Podge (24th & Ocean Drive). In Stone Harbor visit Smuggler’s Cove (83rd & the bay). All three locations offer bait & tackle, and they’ll share their expert local knowledge.
CATCH SOME GREAT MUSIC! Three free concerts are scheduled for the next several days, and are sure to include patriotic favorites leading up to Independence Day! The US Air Force Band will perform at Cape May Convention Hall on Monday, July 1st at 7pm; the 63rd Army Band performs at Surfside Park in Avalon on Tuesday, July 2nd at 7pm; the Bay Atlantic Symphony will perform at Avalon Community Hall on Thursday, July 4th at 7pm.
56 PROPERTIES ARE UNDER CONTRACT…and 56 families are looking forward to owning a new shore property! Imagine the anticipation and excitement of knowing that you’ll be enjoying your very own place at the shore…and making memories to last a lifetime! Have questions on how to make it a reality? From rental income to mortgage financing to the best buys available…let’s discuss YOUR situation and make YOUR dream come true!
- Flyers Trial on the Isle, Philadelphia Flyers annual excursion to the Jersey Shore, family friendly event, Thursday, June 27
- Family Movie Night at the Stone Harbor Library, 5:30-7:30PM, Thursday, June 27
- Thursdays on Dune, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 5:30-7PM for activities, 7-8:30PM for music, Thursday, June 27
- Night Out With the Critters at The Cape May County Zoo, behind the scenes at the zoo, 5PM, Friday, June 28
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 30
- Avalon Field Races & Family Fun, 10th Street Field, 10AM, Sunday, June 30
- Harbor Hustle 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, Stone Harbor Recreation Fields, Sunday, June 30
- ‘Early Avalon’ Walking Tour, call Avalon History Center at 609-967-0090 for meeting spot, 6PM, Tuesday, July 2
- 63rd Army Band Concert, Veterans Plaza in Avalon, 7-8:30PM, Tuesday, July 2
- Mummers Parade, starts at 6PM from Avalon Community Hall & parade proceeds on Dune Drive to Veteran’s Plaza, Mummers performance following the parade, Wednesday, July 3
- Stone Harbor 4th of July Activities & Phillies Home Run Derby, 81st Street Recreation Fields, 9AM-2PM, Thursday, July 4
- Avalon Boat Parade at high tide, Thursday, July 4
- Beach Concert featuring Andrew Jude, 30th Street beach, 1-3PM, Thursday, July 4
- Avalon Independence Day Celebration, 30th Street parking lot, 6-8PM, Thursday, July 4
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Thursday, July 4
- Stone Harbor Fireworks & 4th of July Celebration, 95th Street Beach, 7:30PM with fireworks at dusk, Thursday, July 4
- Avalon Fireworks, off the 30th Street beach, 8:45PM, Thursday, July 4
- Brendan’s Fund Low Tide Beach Ride, check in at 5:30PM at 9th & the beach, littles race starts at 6PM followed by the bigs, ride goes from 9th Street beach to the 32nd Street Pier & and back, Saturday, July 6
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, July7
- Stone Harbor Fitness Challenge 5K, Sunday, July 7
162 96th Street, #5, Stone Harbor, $289,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188331
208 99th Street, Unit 5, Stone Harbor, $564,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 188330
351 96th Street, #206, Stone Harbor, $629,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188329
8310 Third Avenue, B, Stone Harbor, $699,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188296
269 25th Street, Avalon, $1,125,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188318
11 Inlet Drive, East, Avalon, $1,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188289
10611 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,900,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188285
159 26th Street, Avalon, $2,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188315
145 109th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188338
177 70th Street, Avalon, $3,995,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188294
99 E. 27th Street, Avalon, $4,799,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188312
Properties Under Contract:
261 60th Street, Avalon, $2,095,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185535
9301 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,499,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187842
530 7th Street, Avalon, $3,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184108
9511 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $291,000, SOLD MLS#: 182489
153 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $530,000, SOLD MLS#: 187309
1777 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $545,000, SOLD MLS#: 184954
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
238 77th Street, Avalon, $2,104,000, SOLD MLS#: 185554
6 107th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,850,000, SOLD MLS#: 183824