It’s a lovely summer evening as the sun goes down over these condominiums on Stone Harbor Boulevard!
THE TOWNSEND’S INLET BRIDGE is expected to reopen Friday, July 26th, according to county officials, after ten months of repair work. The reopening of the bridge is contingent on the completion of last-minute work, such as guide rails, painting, and traffic striping. Straddling Townsend’s Inlet and connecting Avalon and Sea Isle City, residents and visitors alike consider the bridge a vital transportation link. County officials will issue a final update at the end of the week to confirm the reopening.
BRIDGE FENDERS REPLACED: Other bridge work has been taking place in the county as the fenders preventing marine traffic from striking bridge supports have been replaced on several area bridges. Deteriorated timber fender systems were removed and replaced with composite structures on the Route 109 Veteran’s Memorial Bridge and Route 162 Cape May Canal Bridge into Cape May, as well as the Route 147 Grassy Sound Bridge into North Wildwood. The navigation lights and vertical clearance gauges (showing boats how much height is available beneath the bridge) were replaced as part of the project, too.
WHERE’S OUR BEACH SAND? Avalon Borough Council heard a report from local beach expert Dr. Stewart Farrell of Stockton University regarding the movement of beach sand placed on local beaches during replenishment projects. According to Farrell, about half the sand migrated southward, while half moved slightly offshore. Farrell studied data from 1997 to 2018 and found that 1,000 feet from the 13th & 14th Street beaches the ocean was three feet shallower than it was previously. Despite that, Farrell reported that recent surveys indicated usable beaches in Avalon’s north-end. Avalon is anticipating a hydraulic beach fill next winter.
SWIM WITH THE RAYS! Cow nosed rays have been making appearances along the beach this summer, swimming in the surf to feed. The rays do have barbs on their tails, but are harmless if left alone. KYW Radio in Philadelphia posted a story about the rays: https://kywnewsradio.
“WE NEED A SEA BREEZE!” After several days of extremely hot and humid summer weather, it was not unusual to hear that exclamation on the Island. Often occurring in the afternoon, the sea breeze brings cool breezes on other wise hot days. On a typical sunny day air over the land heats faster than air over the ocean and then rises, as cooler ocean air rushes in to take its place, thus forming a sea breeze. Sometimes broader weather patterns can overpower a sea breeze or prevent it’s formation, but it occurs on most summer days. It’s not unusual for temperatures to be ten or fifteen degrees cooler than surrounding areas due to a sea breeze.
THE OCEAN WATER TEMPERATURE is a lovely 79 degrees! Even if a sea breeze doesn’t form, you can cool off with a refreshing dip in the ocean!
- Santa’s Stone Harbor Summer Vacation, Santa & Mrs. Claus spend their annual week in Stone Harbor shopping, dining and enjoying their stay, NOW through Friday, July 26
- Avalon’s Christmas in July, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Thursday, July 25
- Boating Safety Class, 39th Street Tennis Building in Avalon, 6:30-10PM, Thursday, July 25
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring The Quiet Men, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church at 9425 Third Avenue, 7:30-9PM, Thursday, July 25
- Brendan’s Fund Yoga on the Beach, 30th Street beach, 8-9AM registration at the Pavilion on the boardwalk at 30th Street, 9AM class on the 30th Street beach, Saturday, July 27
- Philadelphia Sport & Social Club Shore Softball Classic, see phillyleagues.com for info, 10th-12th Street Fields in Avalon, 9AM-7PM, Saturday, July 27
- Stone Harbor Junior Summer Slam Tennis Tournament, ages 14 & under, see stoneharborrecreation.com
for details, Saturday, July 27
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, July 28
- Kids’ Event: Behind the Scenes at the Museum, Avalon History Center, 10AM, Monday, July 29
- ‘Early Avalon’ Walking Tour, call Avalon History Center for meeting spot, 6PM, Tuesday, July 30
- The Artists & Friends of Brendan’s Fund Art Show, Avalon Yacht Club, 6-9PM, Tuesday, July 30
- Movie on the Beach featuring Incredibles 2, 30th Street beach in Avalon, dusk, Tuesday, July 30
- Tuesdays at the Tower Concert featuring The Stranger with the music of Billy Joel, Water Tower Plaza, live music, beer & wine garden, more, 7PM,Tuesday, July 30
- Author Lecture featuring Meg Donohue, Avalon Free Public Library, 6PM, Wednesday, July 31
- Avalon Players Production, ‘The Sound of Music’, Avalon Elementary School, 7PM, Thursday August 1 through Saturday, August 3
- 57th Annual Stone Harbor Arts & Crafts Festival featuring over 200 artisans, 81st Street Recreation Field, 9AM-5PM on Saturday, August 3 & 9AM-4PM on Sunday, August 4
- Summer Club Concert Big Band Orchestra & Dancing, Avalon Community Hall, 8PM, Saturday, August 3
- Avalon Players Production, ‘The Sound of Music’, Avalon Elementary School, 5PM, Sunday, August 4
- Go Green Fair featuring ‘Living Green’ education, kid’s activities, food, giveaways, Water Tower Plaza at 95th Street & Second Avenue, 11AM-2PM, Monday, August 5
- National Night Out, family fun, games & entertainment, sponsored by the Stone Harbor Police Department, 5-8PM, Tuesday, August 6
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Bob Campanell, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church at 9425 Third Avenue, 7:30-9PM, Thursday, August 8
2778 Dune Drive, Avalon, $379,900, ACTIVE MLS#: 188672
351 96th Street, #309, Stone Harbor, $500,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188700
132 13th Street, Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188718
156 20th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188683
221 56th Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188694
7009 Dune Drive, Avalon, $4,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188719
Properties Under Contract:
8 1st Drive, Stone Harbor Manor, $495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187270
8201 Third Avenue, #11, Stone Harbor, $610,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188059
10009 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $799,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187619
278 64th Street, Avalon, $925,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188630
251 46th Street, Avalon, $1,195,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188367
214 53rd Street, Avalon, $1,349,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188110
1100 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,350,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188130
239 53rd Street, Avalon, $1,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187645
174 17th Street, Avalon, $1,495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188604
129 10th Street, Avalon, $1,679,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186588
260 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,095,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188428
239 20th Street, Avalon, $750,000, SOLD MLS#: 186821
680 3rd Avenue, Avalon, $1,550,000, SOLD MLS#: 183659
2786 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,800,000, SOLD MLS#: 183761
4728 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $3,300,000, SOLD MLS#: 187847