Turtle barriers like this are designed to keep diamondback terrapins off busy roadways as they look for places to lay eggs. For those that find a way around the barrier but don’t make it safely across the road, The Wetlands Institute collects turtle eggs from local roadways. Read a heartwarming story below about three children who donated to their effort.
THREE VISITORS arrived at The Wetlands Institute last week with $46 in hand. Evelyn (4), Trey (8), and Charlotte (6) sold lemonade at a stand at home for 50 cents a cup, and donated the entire proceeds to The Wetlands Institute! The children told their customers that they were selling lemonade because they “wanted to help the turtles.” Upon making their donation, Evelyn, Trey, and Charlotte were given a tour of the lab at The Wetlands Institute, and met new hatchlings. The kids even got a chance to name a hatchling: Tilly. Way to go Evelyn, Trey, and Charlotte! If you’d like to support The Wetlands Institute, too, visit their donation page here: https://
FUN FOR KIDS 3 THROUGH 93! The Harlem Globetrotters will host four games and four clinics in Wildwood from Wednesday August 14th through Saturday, August 17th. With their amazing basketball talents and incredible stage presence, the team entertains kids of all ages! Use the code SAVE5 to save $5 off select tickets. https://www.
HOW’S THAT SUMMER BUCKET LIST? We’re well past the mid-point of the summer season…still haven’t gotten to those things on your Summer Bucket List? The time is now! Catch a sunrise, catch a fish, catch a movie on the beach, or catch a concert under the water tower! Whatever is on your list, set aside the time and make it happen!
A 496-POUND SWORDFISH was caught by Joe Hevener and his crew at the Wilmington Canyon last week, in water 1,500 feet deep. After a 3.5 hour fight, plus another 45 minutes to get the fish into the boat, the catch was weighed at Canyon Club Marina in Cape May. Just one day earlier Canyon Club weighed a 441-pound swordfish. More big fish are likely to be weighed next week as The MidAtlantic tournament gets underway. From August 18th through 23rd, sport fishing vessels will ply “the deep” looking to outdo each other in the tournament, which is based in both Cape May, NJ and Ocean City, MD.
MORTGAGE RATES are very attractive, with thirty-year fixed rates below 4% for both conforming and jumbo (over $484,351) loan amounts. Low rates with strong rental income (see below) help minimize the cost of owning a shore property.
RENTAL INCOME generated by a shore property can exceed 3% of the property’s value annually, and in some cases can be even higher. Combine that with low mortgage rates and it’s a winning combination! Want to take a look at ALL the numbers? Call or email me today! You might be surprised to learn just how affordable a shore home can be!
- APAC Children’s Mini Event, Sea Creatures with Amazing Features, Avalon Elementary School, 11AM, Thursday, August 15
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, share tea and Avalon memories,11AM, Thursday, August 15
- Thursdays on Dune, 5:30-7PM for activities, 7-8:30PM for concert, Thursday, August 15
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Jim Bannach of BLT, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church at 9425 Third Avenue, 7:30-9PM, Thursday, August 15
- Summer Reading Celebration & Ice Cream Social, Avalon Free Public Library, Noon-1PM, Friday, August 16
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Guided Tour, depart from Egret Espy Trail on 2nd Avenue for a tour by a Wetlands Institute educator, 10AM, Saturday, August 17
- Stone Harbor’s Festival of Lights Boat Parade featuring decorated boats & bay homes, begins at dusk, Saturday, August 17
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Elementary School, 7PM, Saturday, August 17
- Big Band Dance featuring The Serenaders, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, August 17
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, August 18
- Fishing with the Mayor, Avalon Fishing Pier, 10AM, Sunday, August 18
- Line Dance Party fundraiser, Avalon Community Hall, 2-5PM, Monday, August 19
- Stone Harbor Family Night, family friendly activities, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7PM, Monday, August 19
- Movie on the Beach featuring Top Gun, 30th Street Beach, dusk, Tuesday, August 20
- Tuesdays at the Tower Concert featuring The Seabillys with classic rock, Water Tower Plaza, live music, beer & wine garden, more, 7PM,Tuesday, August 20
- Avalon’s Beach Games, 82nd Street Beach, 6:30-8:30PM, Wednesday, August 21
- Stone Harbor’s Annual Merchants’ Day Sidewalk Sale, bargains inside and outside, downtown shopping district, Saturday, August 24
- Kids’ Event: Arts & Crafts Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM, Monday, August 26
- Family Comedy Show featuring ‘A Man and a Dog,’ 39th Street Tennis Building, 10AM, Friday August 30
637 21st Street, 1st Floor, Avalon, $675,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188977
302 79th Street, #302, Avalon, $1,199,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189013
6256 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189000
214 35th Street, Avalon, $2,299,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188952
226 117th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 188971
218 119th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189016
Properties Under Contract:
1777 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $539,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186112
208 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $564,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188330
10009 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $775,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188583
2176 Dune Drive, Avalon, $829,900, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188826
281 24th Street, Avalon, $895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188837
870 21st Street, Avalon, $1,525,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187404
21 W. 19th Street, Avalon, $3,149,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188867
10315 Sunrise Drive, Stone Harbor, $3,599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185839
177 70th Street, Avalon, $3,695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188294
290 79th Street, Avalon, $690,000, SOLD MLS#: 187838
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
263 89th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 187495
573 21st Street, Avalon, $1,950,000, SOLD MLS#: 187416
141 17th Street, Avalon, $2,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 185826
121 27th Street, Avalon, $2,795,000, SOLD MLS#: 187265