Cruising the bay on a warm afternoon!
FROM SWEATERS TO FLIP FLOPS! After a very brief taste of fall weather, summer-like conditions returned to the Island this past weekend. Warm temperatures are expected to remain for the next week or so. The ocean water temperature is still in the low 70s, meaning a late-September dip in the surf is still very pleasant!
A BEACH REPLENISHMENT PROJECT is anticipated on Seven Mile Beach later this fall, but a couple of factors make this project more controversial than prior projects. Avalon beaches are expected to receive more than 400,000 cubic yards of sand dredged from Townsend’s Inlet, which will be pumped onto beaches as far south as 19th Street. But Hereford Inlet can no longer be dredged due to its protected status, according to a 2016 ruling by the Division of Fish and Wildlife. Therefore, instead of receiving dredged sand on its beaches, the Army Corp of Engineers is considering harvesting sand from Stone Harbor’s oversized dunes, and redistributing it onto the beach in order to widen it. Some dunes exceed the minimum size profile established by the Army Corps of Engineers, and thus are candidates for sand harvesting. US Representative Jeff Van Drew has sought to remove the restriction on dredging in Hereford Inlet, but has not been successful to date. Meanwhile, Avalon, Stone Harbor, and North Wildwood are expected to retain legal counsel to challenge the restriction on dredging.
THE LAST TRAIN: Two weeks ago a mile-long coal train rumbled through Cape May County, enroute to the B.L. England Generating Station in Beesley’s Point. Unlike thousands of southbound coal trains before it, this one was empty, having been dispatched to collect the remaining coal stored at the now-decommissioned power plant, which was taken out of service on May 1st. Two prior empty trains had been sent to B.L. England in August, and both left fully loaded with coal. The final coal train departed B.L. England on September 19th, with 63 of its 110 cars hauling away the last of the coal from the plant. The plant was first put into service in 1961, and during its peak was served by several coal trains each week. The large smokestack is visible to those entering and leaving Cape May County via the Garden State Parkway, as they cross Great Egg Harbor Bay. The trains themselves were visible at numerous grade crossings, as well as the Cedar Swamp Creek Bridge, where the railroad line parallels Route 50.
The last coal train sent to the Beesley’s Point Generating Station was empty, and collected the stored coal remaining at the shuttered power plant. Here the train crosses the Cedar Swamp Creek Bridge, alongside Route 50.
FISHERMEN CONCERNED ABOUT THE WINDFARM planned off the coast of Atlantic City had a chance to voice their opinions at a meeting last week. US Representatives Jeff Van Drew (NJ) and Alan Lowenthal (CA) listened to fishermen who expressed concern about the potential impact of the windfarm on offshore fisheries, due to its proposed location in an area commonly fished by both commercial and recreational fishermen. A spokesman for Orsted, the firm who will build the wind farm, acknowledged the need to recognize the concerns of fishermen.
SEA ISLE’S NEW PIER: Sea Isle City expects to open a new Bayfront pier at its 60th Street recreation field. The pier will offer fishing and a kayak launch area, not to mention a great place from which to watch sunsets. A newly erected sign at the site shows the layout of the pier, which is expected to open in 2020.
- Mayor’s Cup Bocce Tournament, 39th Street Park in Avalon, 10AM, Saturday, September 28
- Cape May County K-9 Unit Demonstration, family friendly activity watching the K-9 Unit be put through their paces, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM, Saturday, September 28
- Basket Weaving at the Avalon Public Library, registration required by calling 609-967-7155 or stopping by the Circulation Desk, 10AM-4PM, Saturday, September 28
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Concert featuring Jerry Blavat (The Geator with the Heater), Avalon Community Hall, doors open at 6:30PM, show starts at 8PM, Saturday, September 28
- Windows Computers & Android Smartphones Drop-In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, October 5
- A Glimpse of Cape May County, presentation offering info on must see historical sites & the stories behind them, Avalon History Center, 1-2PM, Saturday, October 5
- Pumpkin Decorating for Kids, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM Saturday, October 12
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce Seafood Festival, food, kids activities, vendors, more, 30th Street parking lot & Avalon Community Hall, 10AM-5PM, Saturday & Sunday, October 12 & 13
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Fashion Show, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, noon, Sunday, October 13
- Avalon Garden Club Fall Fundraiser Luncheon, proceeds used for the beautification of Avalon parks, gardens & islands, Bobby Dee’s Rock ‘n Chair, for tickets call Kathy at 1-856-723-7041 or Linda at 1-856-266-6128, Thursday, October 17 or Friday, October 18
- Creative Writing Seminar offering tips & feedback on stories, poems & books, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, October 19
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, Avalon Community Hall, 8:30AM, Saturday, October 26 (Rain Date – Sunday, October 27)
- Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep, 8th Street & Avalon Avenue, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, October 26
- Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep, join the Boro of Stone Harbor, Stone Harbor Property Owners Association & Wetlands Institute, 9AM-12:30PM, Saturday, October 26
- Kids’ Harvest Festival, dress up in costume & Trick or Treat throughout the shops & businesses, live animal show, free hay ride, kids’ crafts, downtown 96th Street, Saturday, October 26
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat, 30th Street parking lot, 5-8PM, Saturday, October 26
7888 Dune Drive, #117, Avalon, $149,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189704
7888 Dune Drive, #112, Avalon, $299,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189702
7888 Dune Drive, #102, Avalon, $310,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189701
7888 Dune Drive, #124, Avalon, $349,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189703
7888 Dune Drive, #116, Avalon, $409,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189705
7888 Dune Drive, #216, Avalon, $429,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189706
22 Weber Court, Stone Harbor, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189655
269 80th Street, Avalon, $779,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189678
1678 First Avenue, B, Avalon, $895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189723
261 58th Street, Avalon, $1,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189716
114 110th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189727
197 77th Street, Avalon, $3,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189718
865 Avalon Ave., Avalon, $4,100,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189676
Properties Under Contract:
301 80th Street, Avalon, $749,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189328
10009 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $775,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188583
1127 Stone Harbor Blvd., Stone Harbor Manor, $874,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187343
1127 Stone Harbor Blvd., Stone Harbor Manor, $929,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187242
1566 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,139,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188899
400 20th Street, Avalon, $1,249,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189596
64 W. 27th Street, Avalon, $1,675,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188403
175 78th Street, Avalon, $1,695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182529
2488 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,750,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189373
243 70th Street, Avalon, $2,000,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 188609
8201 Third Avenue, #11, Stone Harbor, $588,000, SOLD MLS#: 188059
130 Meadowview Lane, Avalon Manor, $595,000, SOLD MLS#: 174266
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
768 21st Street, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 187666
768 21st Street, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 187667
214 53rd Street, Avalon, $1,325,000, SOLD MLS#: 188110
464 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,585,000, SOLD MLS#: 187408
129 10th Street, Avalon, $1,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 186588
10521 Golden Gate Dr., Stone Harbor, $2,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 188190
181 65th Street, Avalon, $4,075,000, SOLD MLS#: 186167