After wading in the surf, a flock of sanderlings flies down the beach just over the wave tops, on a late fall day.
THE AVALON FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY will be a bit noisier than usual this week, as restroom renovations and carpet installation get underway. The projects are expected to last two to three weeks. The Avalon Library is a tremendous resource, and has received Library Journal’s five-star award eleven times since 2009. The library is open seven days per week, year-round, except major holidays.
AN OVERNIGHT CLOSURE of the Avalon Boulevard Bridge took place earlier this week as repairs to the bridge’s surface and structure continue. Traffic lanes alternate at most times, guided by temporary signals, but another overnight closure may be necessary next week.
HARD TIMES: A FILM BY BILL DOUGHERTY. Longtime Stone Harbor resident Bill Dougherty recaps the difficulties of growing up during the depression this Saturday at 1pm at the Stone Harbor Museum. Continuing the Avalon History Museum’s tradition of hosting winter talks on Saturdays, the Stone Harbor Museum is joining in and taking over the third Saturday of each month.
WILDWOOD: TWO MAJOR EVENTS have been announced for the 2020 season. On June 6th & 7th the Wildwood Air Show will take place, featuring military demonstrations, aerobatics, and other displays. The Wildwood Airshow is free, and visible along the beach. Two weeks later the Barefoot Country Music Festival will take place on the beach June 19th through 21st, featuring 30 musical performers over three days.
WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR 2020? How about a little beach time? Start browsing my 2020 Shore Rental Guide for ideas, then call or email me to book your vacation! Check out the Rental Guide here: https://www.flipsnack.
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, share memories & tea, 11AM, Thursday, January 16
- Kids’ Tea Party for kids and their caregivers, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM, Saturday, January 18
- Tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books with Melissa Palmer, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 18
- Wetlands Institute Creature Feature, live animal presentation, free with admission, 2-3PM, Saturday, January 18
- Live Music at the Cape May Winery at 711 Townbank Road, North Cape May, 2-5PM, Saturday, January 18
- Cellar Tasting at Hawk Haven Vineyards, 11AM-6PM, Sunday, January 19
- Move & Grove with Cathy Cashmere, low impact dance fitness class, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7PM, Tuesday, January 21
- Apple Computers, iPads & iPhones Drop In Tech Workshop with Cathy Zane, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7:30PM, Wednesday, January 22
- Mystery Book Club with Moderator Dorothy Pearson, title to be discussed is ‘Skinwalkers’ by Tony Hillerman, register at 609-967-7155, books may be available at registration, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7:30PM, Thursday, January 23
- Roku with Sean Farrell, learn how to use this device to stream your favorite shows & movies over the Internet as your TV, 6-7PM, Monday, January 27
- Genealogy with Casey Zahn, learn how to research your family, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Tuesday, January 28
- Award Season Film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Avalon Free Public Library, 5-8PM, Tuesday, January 28
- Wetlands Institute Presentation & Covered Dish Dinner with discussion about Changing Wetland Landscapes, bring a dish to share, $7 admission for members & $12 for non-members, 6-9PM, Friday, January 31
- Harbor Square Theater Comedy Show, fundraiser to benefit Cape May Tech High School, doors open at 8PM, show at 9PM, tickets in advance are $20 each, at the door $25 each, Friday, January 31
- Native Americans of the Jersey Cape, Avalon History Center, 1-2PM, Saturday, February 1
- Comedy Uncorked, Willow Creek Winery, 6-10PM, Saturday, February 8
- Stone Harbor’s 10th Annual Shiver Weekend, proceeds benefit Family Promise of Cape May County, 10AM-3PM, Saturday, March 21
2101 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $329,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200081
2011 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,099,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200167
Properties Under Contract:
250 24th Street, Avalon, $895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200136
1326 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,635,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189760
1148 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $1,999,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 189477
883 21st Street, Unit #883, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 187352
10 E. 25th Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200095
221 56th Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190883
7892 Sunset Drive, Avalon, $3,250,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190769
204 99th Street, Unit #3, Stone Harbor, $525,000, SOLD MLS#: 190074
247 22nd Street, Avalon, $725,000, SOLD MLS#: 185718
281 68th Street, Unit B, Avalon, $900,000, SOLD MLS#: 190573
7704 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,200,000, SOLD MLS#: 184726
954 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,175,000, SOLD MLS#: 189792
385 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 189101
175 4th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 187653
141 65th Street, Avalon, $6,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 190798