A layer of ice formed along Avalon Boulevard earlier this week. Sea Isle City is in the background.
THE FIRST ICE OF THE SEASON formed in shallow areas of the back bay early this week. As high tides receded, cold air temperatures during the overnight hours froze bay water at the edges of shallow creeks and ponds. Deeper areas of the bay have not seen any ice formation, as water temperatures are still in the upper 30s. Slightly warmer air temperatures are expected by the weekend, and into next week.
MARKET STATS: Twenty seven properties were sold during the month of December, 2019, up 8% over December a year ago. Demand for properties remains strong but sales have been held back by lack of inventory—the number of active listings was 184 last month, down from 219 a year ago. For a detailed look at the market, see the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report.
THE STONE HARBOR POLICE DEPARTMENT has shifted its dispatching from Avalon to the Cape May County Communications Center. The SHPD expressed thanks to the Avalon Police Department for its dispatch services since 2014. The department also pointed out that although the location of dispatchers has changed, methods of contacting the SHPD have not: for emergencies, dial 9-1-1; for non-emergency police services, dial 609-368-2111; for records requests and other administrative functions, contact Police Administration at 609-368-1455.
AVALON changed construction regulations to ban exterior construction work on Saturdays during July and August; a ban on Sunday exterior work has been in place since last year. The ban on summertime weekend work is in response to numerous complaints in 2018 regarding noise and other issues related to construction, preventing people from enjoying their summer homes on the weekends. Demolition of homes is prohibited from July 1st through Labor Day, with exceptions only in the case of emergencies.
PRESIDENTIAL VISITS to Cape May County are fairly rare, thus Donald Trump’s planned rally in Wildwood next week has garnered significant attention. Trump will visit the Wildwood Convention Center, which holds an estimated 7,000 people. Various reports estimate that close to 100,000 tickets were requested for the event, scheduled for January 28th. The Wildwoods have geared up for huge crowds: hotels report they are booked to capacity, many seasonal restaurants are expected to open for the event, and local school districts will be closed for the day. Numerous presidents have visited Atlantic City, and many have visited Cape May, but next week’s rally will be the first time a president has visited Wildwood.
- Mystery Book Club with Moderator Dorothy Pearson, title to be discussed is ‘Skinwalkers’ by Tony Hillerman, register at 609-967-7155, books may be available upon registration, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7:30PM, Thursday, January 23
- Lunch & Learn at the Wetlands Institute, bring your lunch and hear Glen Davis discuss Terrapin Track Stars, coffee & dessert will be provided, The Wetlands Institute, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, January 24
- Windows Computers & Android Smartphones Drop InTech Workshop with Sean Farrell, help with questions about your computer, phone, software or an app, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, January 25
- Local Love Happy Hour at Jesse Creek Winery, 2-5PM, Saturday, January 25
- Roku with Sean Farrell, learn how to use this device to stream your favorite shows & movies over the Internet as your TV, 6-7PM, Monday, January 27
- Genealogy with Casey Zahn, learn how to research your family, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Tuesday, January 28
- Award Season Film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Avalon Free Public Library, 5-8PM, Tuesday, January 28
- Wetlands Institute Presentation & Covered Dish Dinner with discussion about Changing Wetland Landscapes, bring a dish to share, $7 admission for members & $12 for non-members, 6-9PM, Friday, January 31
- Harbor Square Theater Comedy Show, fundraiser to benefit Cape May Tech High School, doors open at 8PM, show at 9PM, tickets in advance are $20 each, at the door $25 each, Friday, January 31
- Apple Computers, iPads & iPhones drop In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, February 1
- Native Americans of the Jersey Cape, Avalon History Center, 1-2PM, Saturday, February 1
- Life Coach Mary Lerario presents tips for sticking with resolutions & understanding when goals need to change or evolve, requires registration at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM, Tuesday, February 4
- Move & Groove with Cathy Cashmere, low impact dance fitness class, Avalon Free Public Library, 6-7PM, Tuesday, February 4
- Wine & Chocolate Tasting at Hawk Haven Winery, live music by Greg Jones, 11AM-6PM, Saturday, February 8
- Comedy Uncorked, Willow Creek Winery, 6-10PM, Saturday, February 8
7929 Dune Drive, #108, Avalon, $360,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200273
100 96th Street, #304, Stone Harbor, $850,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200259
284 25th Street, Avalon, $925,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200257
6337 Heron Cove, Avalon, $1,399,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200217
303 42nd Street, Avalon, $1,800,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200237
375 24th Street, Avalon, $2,200,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200190
2402 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,445,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200209
280 36th Street, Avalon, $2,799,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200208
65 S. Pelican Drive, Avalon, $3,950,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200255
Properties Under Contract:
323 80th Street, Stone Harbor, $780,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200016
300 79th Street, Avalon, $849,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200180
2314 Dune Drive, Avalon, $939,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189509
254 12th Street, Avalon, $1,699,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189341
247 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,950,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200175
598 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190862
1148 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $1,999,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189477
387 24th Street, Avalon, $3,600,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190271
179 114th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,349,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190663
311 80th Street, Unit #7, Avalon, $560,000, SOLD MLS#: 190088
C 11 Weber Court, Stone Harbor, $670,000, SOLD MLS#: 190718
311 80th Street, Avalon, $700,000, SOLD MLS#: 200204
275 100 Street, Stone Harbor, $1,275,000, SOLD MLS#: 188964
175 78th Street, Avalon, $1,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 182529
295 55th Street, Avalon, $1,800,000, SOLD MLS#: 185590
159 26th Street, Avalon, $2,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 188315
5 94th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 184377