An adult eagle and a juvenile were both spotted along Avalon Boulevard earlier this week. Eagles often perch atop trees or utility poles to search for prey moving across the marsh. The adult on the left finished feeding (at the top of the pole!) shortly before this photo was taken.
THE AVALON BOULEVARD BRIDGE will be closed to all traffic from 7pm Monday, February 24th until 5am Tuesday morning. Work has continued daily on the new bridge surface, with an alternating traffic pattern in place most of the time. (Note: an earlier announcement released to local media incorrectly stated the bridge would close to all traffic on February 20th; the bridge will remain open on that date.)
STONE HARBOR’S NEW FIRE TRUCK has been delivered. The Pierce Impel pumper will carry six firefighters and the latest firefighting gear.
LAST WEEKEND’S POLAR BEAR PLUNGE drew thousands to Sea Isle City for a weekend of activities. The annual Mike’s Seafood Polar Bear Run-Walk for Autism had a record breaking number of participants this year, including New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy who participated to lend his support for the event. The Run-Walk is organized by Mike and Jeannie Monichetti and is now in its twelfth year. Last year the Monichetti family raised over $140,000 for autism.
AVALON MANOR’S NEW FISHING PIER will be ready soon, as reported at a recent Middle Township Committee meeting. The pier is currently under construction after receiving approval in 2019. The new pier replaces an older one that was closed in 2016 due to deterioration. The site used to host the (Old) Avalon Boulevard Bridge which crossed into Avalon via 21st Street. When the new bridge was built it was realigned to enter Avalon via 30th Street, and the old bridge was removed.
TROPHY STRIPERS OFF LIMITS: The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council updated its striper regulations to allow anglers to keep one fish between 28 inches and 38 inches in length. A limited number of “bonus permits” would allow for the retention of one additional fish between 24 inches and 28 inches, but the state rejected retention of “trophy” sized fish. Fishing regulations are adjusted periodically to ensure the survival of various species. New Jersey’s new regulations now go to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Council for approval.
THE CLOCK IS TICKING! Perhaps you’ve noticed that we’re gaining a minute or two of daylight each day, with sunrise occurring earlier and sunset occurring later. Even better, we’re only 14 weeks from Memorial Day Weekend! That means it’s time to plan for Summer 2020. Whether you’re planning to vacation for a week, or going to buy your own shore home, it’s time to get started. Call or email me today!
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, enjoy tea and sharing memories of Avalon, 11AM, Thursday, February 20
- Apple Computers, iPads & Phones Drop In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 5-6:30PM, Thursday, February 20
- Aerobics with Lindsay Bechtler, Avalon Free Public Library, 6:30-7:30PM, Thursday, February 20
- Anniversary Film, featured is Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Friday, February 21
- Windows Computer & Android Smartphone Drop In Tech Workshop, bring your device for assistance, Avalon Free Public Library, 5:30-7PM, Monday, February, 24
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Weekend at the Princeton & the Whitebrier, local retail stores & boutiques offering designer clothing, accessories, food, drinks & great deals, Thursday & Friday, March 12 &13 from 4-9PM & Saturday, March 14 from 10AM-6PM
- Stone Harbor Pre-Shiver Party, 6-9PM at the Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, Friday, March 20
- Stone Harbor Shiver Weekend with proceeds benefitting Family Promise of Cape May County, Kegs & Eggs Breakfast at Fred’s Tavern at 9:30AM, parade to the beach with costumed participants at 11:45AM & at 1PM the dash to the ocean for the Plunge, Saturday, March 21
- Easter EggStravaganZoo, Easter Egg Hunt, a visit from the Easter Bunny and lots of Easter activities and fun, Cape May County Zoo, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, April 4
- Turtle Fest at The Wetlands Institute, pancake breakfast, Easter egg hunt, create arts & crafts, search for turtle hatchlings, more, visit https://
wetlandsinstitute.org/events/ turtle-fest/.com for details, 9AM-3PM, Saturday, April 11
- Earth Day Celebration, 5K run begins at 7:30AM, Fun Run begins at 8:30AM & 5K Run begins at 9AM, along with entertainment, crafters, games & vendors, Cape May County Park & Zoo, 8:30AM-3PM, Saturday, April 18
- Stone Harbor Chamber of Commerce’s Job Fair, 9AM-3PM, Saturday, April 18
- Avalon’s Spring Dune Grass Planting, volunteers report to Avalon Community Hall @30th & Avalon Avenue at 8:30AM, a light lunch will be served after the planting, call Chuck McDonnell at 609-967-3066 or Sue Keen at 609-967-5924 to sign up, Saturday, April 18 (rain date is Sunday, April 19)
17 Seabreeze Lane, Avalon Manor, $639,500, ACTIVE MLS#: 200692
10105 Second Avenue, Unit B, Stone Harbor, $650,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200637
300 79th Street, Unit 2, Avalon, $749,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200690
2488 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200698
2488 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200697
2118 First Avenue, Avalon, $2,150,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200639
8 W. 14th, Avalon, $2,195,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200657
141 95th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200597
149 10th Street, Avalon, $2,849,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200648
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $3,349,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200603
4603 Fifth Avenue, Avalon, $3,775,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 200654
Properties Under Contract:
8201 Third Avenue, #22, Stone Harbor, $599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200449
323 80th Street, #15, Stone Harbor, $780,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200016
2011 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,099,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 200167
230 82nd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,295,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190844
7888 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,699,999, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185665
261 58th Street, Avalon, $1,895,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 189716
251 45th Street, Avalon, $2,025,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 190637
425 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,457,500, SOLD MLS#: 185875
198 73rd Street, Avalon, $2,550,000, SOLD MLS#: 187951
197 77th Street, Avalon, $3,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 189718