Marilyn O’Donoghue captured this image of an egret feeding in the back bay last week. Egrets stalk pray in shallow tidal areas, where they find small fish and crabs. Nice shot, Marilyn!
AVALON FLOOD INSURANCE MEETING FOR PROPERTY OWNERS: Avalon and the New Jersey Coastal Coalition invite you to a meeting to discuss flood insurance, and ways to lower your premiums. Avalon property owners currently enjoy a 35% discount on flood insurance premiums thanks to Avalon’s efforts to achieve a Class 3 certification in the Community Rating System. But reviewing your own property’s elevation certificate and flood insurance policy may reveal ways to lower your own premium further. The meeting will take place Saturday, August 21st at 9am at Avalon Borough Hall, and is sponsored by Heist Insurance Agency and Risk Reduction Plus. Council Vice President Sam Wierman, Borough Construction Official and Floodplain Manager Ed Dean, and municipal engineer Thomas Thornton will be in attendance to help provide local insight. Property owners should bring to the meeting their elevation certificate, flood insurance declaration page, and two photos of the exterior of your property.
STONE HARBOR has expanded its residential trash & recycling drop off to include Friday as well as Saturday. Trash & recycling trucks are set up at the Municipal Marina parking lot Fridays from 8am to 3pm and Saturdays from 8am to 4pm. Traditionally the borough collected trash & recycling from residences twice per week, but a labor shortage has cut that to once per week this summer. Residents may optionally place cans at the curb on their designated pick-up day in order to speed up collection.
CAPE MAY COUNTY WILL RECEIVE $3.3 MILLION in funding for infrastructure improvements for fiscal 2022, funded by the New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund. New Jersey’s 21 counties will share $161.25 million in fiscal 2022, with funds apportioned based on population and road mileage. The county will select eligible road, bridge, or transportation related projects and seek NJDOT approval for them by December 1st.
TAKE A KID FISHING–WITH THE MAYOR! Avalon Mayor Marty Pagliughi will host a morning of fishing on Monday, August 9th at 9am, at the Avalon Fishing Pier. The annual “Fishing with the Mayor” event is for children ages 5 through 12. No equipment is necessary–the Avalon Recreation Department will provide fishing poles and bait to all participants. Registration is required, as only 25 spots are available. Call 609-967-3066 or email email@example.com to register.
AMERICAN LEGION POST 331 celebrates its 75th Anniversary with an open house on Saturday, August 7th from 1pm to 3pm. Located at 117th Street & Second Avenue, Legion Post #331 opened in 1946, and it’s housed in a former US Life Saving Service station that first opened in 1895.
AVALON LIFEGUARDS took first place in team scoring at the Dave Kerr Jr. Memorial Lifeguard Races, held on the 35th Street beach last week in Avalon. Finishing in second place was Sea Isle City, followed by Wildwood Crest and Stone Harbor. Avalon also finished first in the Swim, and second in the Doubles Row and Iron Man Medley. Congratulations!
GOTTA DO IT: LOCAL MUSIC! Not many things put you in as good a mood as listening to live music on a beautiful summer evening at the shore! Here are a several options to consider!
- Sundays at Surfside (free): Sundays at 7pm at Surfside Park, Avalon. August 8th, Central Park; August 15th, Dead Reckoning; August 22nd, Beatlemania; August 29th, Magical Mystery Doors Summer Finale (concert will run until 9pm)
- Tuesdays at the Tower (free): Tuesdays at 7pm under the Stone Harbor Water Tower. August 10th, 40 North; August 17th, Bluebone; August 24th, Marnie’s Musicians; August 31st, Pure Jerry.
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal Summer Concert Series (free): Wednesday evenings from 5:30pm to 8:30pm on the Green. August 4th, Parrot Beach (Buffet Tribute); August 11th, AM Gold (Yacht Rock); August 18th, Don’t Call Me Francis (South Jersey’s Legendary Party Band), August 25th, Separate Ways (Journey Tribute)
- Mac McAnally at the Windrift: Tuesday, August 17th, 7pm, at the Windrift, 80th Street & the beach. Mac McAnally has achieved fame as a country singer-songwriter, and as a guitarist in Jimmy Buffet’s Coral Reefer Band. For info and tickets visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mac-mcanally-live-concert-at-the-windrift-tickets-164045040131?aff=AvalonChamber
- Barefoot Country Music Festival: August 19-22, on the beach, Wildwood. More than three dozen country music artists are slated to perform at this three-day event on the beach in Wildwood, including Carrie Underwood, Zac Brown Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Billy Currington. For info and tickets visit: https://barefootcountrymusicfest.com/
306 76th Street, Avalon, $2,435,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 212797
63 W. 30th Street, Avalon, $2,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 212806
Properties Under Contract:
7800 Dune Drive, 227, Avalon, $292,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 202957
9401 Sunset Drive, 2, Stone Harbor, $995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 212717
274 35th Street, Avalon, $1,589,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 212808
325 7th Street, Avalon, $1,695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 212581
266 42nd Street, Avalon, $1,795,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 212494
428 42nd Street, Avalon, $2,795,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 212713
7888 Dune Drive, 114, Avalon, $297,000, SOLD MLS#: 212087
7888 Dune Drive, 126, Avalon, $347,000, SOLD MLS#: 211919
456 Avalon Blvd, Avalon Manor, $500,000, SOLD MLS#: 202995
1539 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,453,000, SOLD MLS#: 212348
220 86th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,895,000, SOLD MLS#: 202379