Beaches at Avalon’s north end remain closed, but replenishment work will begin soon.
BEACH REPLENISHMENT WORK has not yet begun in Avalon & Stone Harbor, but is expected to start in the next several weeks. The much-anticipated project will add several hundred thousand cubic yards of sand to Avalon & Stone Harbor beaches, leveling and widening them. Look for a significant update on the project in the coming weeks!
BYE-BYE, WINTER! The official arrival of spring brings with it the excitement and anticipation of a new season at the shore! Warm weather, lazy days on the beach, an afternoon of fishing, drinks on the deck with friends, gorgeous sunsets—they’re all on their way!
DOLPHINS ARE BACK! A pod of dolphins was spotted in Townsend’s Inlet last week, and ospreys have been seen returning to local nests. As both daily temperatures and local waters gradually warm up look for more signs of spring to come.
PIPING PLOVERS ON THE BEACH: The first piping plovers have returned to local beaches for annual nesting. Piping plovers are endangered and should not be approached or touched; dogs should be kept leashed and well away from them. Stone Harbor has closed its beaches to vehicular traffic, effective immediately, in order to protect the birds during their nesting season.
WIND-FARM DISCUSSIONS were held last week in Ocean City and Wildwood. Large crowds at both forums were mostly against the continuation of offshore work, and listened intently as a variety of officials and experts spoke. Opposition to offshore wind farm work has intensified as numerous whales have died along the east coast, including nine in New Jersey, since December. Early Tuesday morning eight dolphins beached in Sea Isle City, and at least two of them died, while the Marine Mammal Stranding Center was working to save the rest. At the time of this writing there is no information on what caused the dolphins to beach or if it is related in any way to offshore work.
REMINDER: NEW TRASH COLLECTION CARTS will be used in both Avalon and Stone Harbor this year, beginning in May. Avalon will supply one large (95-gallon) trash cart and one large (95-gallon) recycling cart per property. (Homeowners may add additional carts.) Stone Harbor is requiring each homeowner to purchase their new trash and recycling carts, and various sizes are allowed. Be sure you have enough carts at your property to accommodate the trash and recycling material generated during peak occupancy of your property—especially if you are a rental property owner! See the FAQ for each town for more information:
Stone Harbor Trash Cart FAQ: http://stoneharbornj.org/details-of-new-trash-and-recycling-receptacles-required-by-may-1st-2023/
- Avalon History Museum Lecture: Uncovering the Hidden History of the Diving Horses. 39th Street Tennis Building, Saturday, March 25th, 1pm.
- Beach Sweeps, Avalon and Stone Harbor, Saturday, April 1st, 9am-12:30pm. Dress for the weather, bring your own bucket, and wear hard soled shoes. Register at www.CleanOceanAction.org
- Annual Stone Harbor Easter Egg Hunt, Stone Harbor Firehouse, Saturday, April 1st, 12pm-12:30pm.
- Easter Bunny Express, Cape May Seashore Lines, April 1st, 2nd, & 8th. www.SeashoreLines.org
- Avalon Home and Land Owners Association Community Connections meeting, Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, April 8th, 2023, 8:30am-11am.
- Avalon Recreation Department Easter Egg Scramble: Ages 1-4, 8th Street Playground; Ages 5-6, 10th Street Field; Ages 7-10, 12th Street Field. Saturday, April 8th, 10am sharp.
- Harbor Hop 5K Run, 1M Run, 1M Walk, Stone Harbor, Saturday, April 8th, 9am. Info & registration: https://runsignup.com/Race/NJ/StoneHarbor/HarborHop
- Stone Harbor Job Fair, at participating businesses, Saturday, April 15th, 10am to 4pm. Stone Harbor job listings: https://stoneharborchamber.com/help-wanted
- Spring Ice Cream Express, Cape May Seashore Lines, Saturday, April 15th. www.SeashoreLines.org
- Avalon Dune Grass Planting, Saturday, April 22nd, 8:30am. Volunteers will meet at Avalon Community Hall, 30th Street and Avalon Avenue, at 8:30am for a brief planting demonstration. After the Dune Grass planting there will be a bagged light lunch outside Community Hall. Organizations and groups are encouraged to volunteer! Please call Sue Keen at 609-967-5924 or Chuck McDonnell at 609-967-3066, no later than April 11th, to sign-up.
- Free Tree Seedlings for Cape May County homeowners, Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, April 22nd, 8:30am-12pm. 500 native tree seedlings are available (arrive early).
- Southern NJ Coast Guard Ball, 75th Anniversary of Recruit Training in Cape May, US Coast Guard Training Center Cape May, April 29, 2023. Info and tickets here: https://coastguardcommunity.org/events/southern-new-jersey-coast-guard-ball/
- Avalon Bulk Trash Pick Up, place items curbside May 5th through May 14th.
- Garden Club of Stone Harbor Plant Sale, by Pre-Order only, pickup orders at Stone Harbor Public Works Garage, Saturday, May 13th, 9am to 4pm. Order info here: https://gardenclubofstoneharbor.org/plant-sale/
- Garden Club of Stone Harbor Community Yard Sale, 9401 Second Avenue, Saturday, May 20th, 8am-2pm.
- Avalon Garden Club 39th Annual Flower Show, Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, June 10th, 10am to 3pm. Design & horticultural exhibits, raffle baskets, free admission. www.avalongardenclub.org
- Thursdays at Surfside, weekly concerts at Surfside Park, Avalon, Thursdays, 7pm, beginning June 29th.
2907 Dune Drive, First Floor, North Side, Avalon, $10,150, ACTIVE MLS#: 230669
2117 4th Avenue, Unit A, Avalon, $975,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 230668
379 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $4,500,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 230628
256 105th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 230651
271 47th Street, Avalon, $4,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 230654
33 Seabreeze Lane, Avalon Manor, $5,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 230639
Properties Under Contract:
570 21st Street, 1st Floor, Avalon, $1,140,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 230375
388 21st Street, Avalon, $1,425,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 230598
9705 Second Avenue, 9705, Stone Harbor, $1,800,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 230408
3565 Dune Drive, Avalon, $2,489,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 230643
5765 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $3,679,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 230033
36 E 14th Street, Avalon, $3,795,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 222677
7800 Dune Drive, 209, Avalon, $350,000, SOLD MLS#: 223595
39 Stone Court, Stone Harbor, $812,500, SOLD MLS#: 222545
1607 Ocean Drive, E, Avalon, $960,000, SOLD MLS#: 230171
419 104th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 222786