MARKET STATS: The number of active listings has decreased to 232, down 13% from last year. Tighter inventory led to a slight decline in the number of new contracts written last month and the number of closed sales. For a complete look at the latest Long & Foster Market Minute report, click here: http://marketminute.
Warm air over frozen bay water and marsh grass caused a layer of fog to form, partly obscuring this house in Avalon Manor during last Thursday’s sunset. The snow and ice have since melted.
THIS VIDEO, posted to Facebook by Charles Coulter, Jr., shows just how cold it was last week, as the “Two Dukes” is seen departing Sea Isle City’s waterfront and breaking a solid layer of ice on the bay as they pass by: www.facebook.com/
BLUE BLOOD SUPERMOON ECLIPSE? Yes, on January 31st about 6:48am EST, the moon’s edge will begin to darken as a total lunar eclipse begins. But it’s the mix of factors that give the event its long name. First, it’s the second full moon of the calendar month, so it’s a “Blue” moon. It won’t actually be blue, but will have a reddish tint to it as sunlight must pass over the Earth’s atmosphere, making the moon a “blood moon.” And, since the eclipse will occur just a day or so after perigee (when the moon is at its closest point to earth), it’ll be a Supermoon, appearing slightly larger than normal. Alas, the eastern part of the United States will not see the whole eclipse, as the moon will set in the northwestern sky before maximum eclipse is reached. When did the last Blue Blood Supermoon Eclipse occur? According to Space.com the last time was March 31, 1866!
AVALON PLANS to develop Surfside Park at 30th Street and the boardwalk. The Cape May County Herald reports that design work is to be completed by May, with bids sought in July, and a construction contract to be awarded in September, which would allow for the park to be completed for the 2019 season.
THE BEACH BOYS, Straight No Chaser, and The Hooters will all appear at the Ocean City Music Pier this summer. Tickets for more than a dozen Music Pier events are available through www.TicketMaster.com
NEED A GLIMPSE of the beach or the bay to get you through January? If you can’t make it to town to see for yourself, check out one of Avalon’s webcams! Click here and check out the camera of your choice:
- Boardwalk Kennel Club All Breed Dog Show, Wildwood Convention Center, competitions from 8:30AM-6PM daily,
Thursday–Sunday, January 18-21
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 20
- Fralinger String Band Performance, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, January 20
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Kevin Flynn, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, January 20
- Drop In Tech Workshop, Windows Computers & Android Smart Phones, Avalon Free Public Library, 5-6:30PM, Thursday, January 25
- Drop In Tech Workshop, Apple Computers, iPads & iPhones, Avalon Free Public Library, 6:30-8PM, Thursday, January 25
- The Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Supper featuring a guest speaker sharing important issues in environmental science & biology, admission fee & please bring a covered dish to share, 6-8PM, Friday, January 26
- Irish & Italian Genealogy Workshop, research with the help of Casey Zahn using library and online resources, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, January 27
- Stone Harbor Mayor’s Wellness Campaign, information, activities & tools for healthier living, register at https://www.
stoneharborrecreation.com/ mayors-wellness-campaign.html by January 29, or attend kick-off on February 1st at 5:30PM at the Stone Harbor Recreation Building, event occurs from Thursday, February 1-Thursday, March 29
- Barber Shop Quartet Performance by the Cape Shore Chorus, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM,
Saturday, February 3
- 15th Annual Friend in Need Super Bowl Bash XV fundraiser, door prizes, football, food & drink, The Princeton in Avalon, doors open at 4PM, Sunday, February 4
- Big Band Dance featuring the Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, February 10
- 24th Annual Polar Bear Plunge Weekend in Sea Isle City, visit www.
polarbearrunwalkforautism.com for details, Saturday, February 17
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Event featuring Julian McCullough, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, doors open at 8PM, show begins at 9PM, Saturday, February 17
- Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge in North Wildwood, visit http://FallenHeroPlunge.
com for details, Saturday, February 24
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Event, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday, March 8-Saturday, March 10
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz Concert, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 11
- Pre-Stone Harbor Shiver Party, Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 6PM, Friday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Bear Plunge, register at Fred’s Tavern, 9:30AM, parade to beach followed by the plunge, 11AM-1PM, Saturday, March 17
Located second from the beach in Avalon’s South End!
301 79th Street, Avalon, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 178568
8403 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 170576
406 21st Street, Avalon, $865,000, SOLD MLS#: 178381
314 42nd Street, Avalon, $2,275,000, SOLD MLS#: 175137
86 E. 23rd St., Avalon, $3,700,000, SOLD MLS#: 178295
84 E. 17th Street, Avalon, $7,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 172588