Top: A great crowd gathered at 81st Street & the bay to watch the Stone Harbor Yacht Club’s Festival of Lights Parade last Saturday evening, while enjoying food trucks, music, and a wine & beer garden. Bottom: Donna Marie Piazza Strug posted this photo collage on Facebook showing many of the boats that participated in the parade. (Great photos, Donna!) Watch a short video clip on Facebook here: https://fb.watch/704Rdu6_O7/
A US COAST GUARD RESCUE took place 69 miles southeast of Cape May on Sunday during strong winds and rough seas. Seven people were rescued from a 40-foot sport fishing vessel as seas reportedly approached 10-feet. Watch video footage of the rescue here: https://www.dvidshub.net/video/807891/coast-guard-rescues-7-sport-fishing-boat-beset-weather
LOCAL ARTIST AND WRITER MONICA ZANE is a National Indie Excellence book award recipient for “Rudy Doesn’t Like Roger.” Zane wrote the children’s book and included 37 illustrations and has been named as a finalist in the juvenile fiction category. Monica’s artwork is magnificent–check out both her book and her artwork on her website at https://monicazaneartshop.com/ or stop by her studio at 37th Street & Ocean Drive in Avalon.
John Favano, The Ringfinder!
YOU LOST IT? HE’LL FIND IT! John Favano is known locally as The Ringfinder, and rightly so. Favano is usually the one that gets the call when someone has lost their wedding ring in the sand on a local beach. Using his metal detecting equipment Favano performs a grid search of the area and often comes up with the lost item. He’s located numerous lost items on local beaches this summer, including rings, necklaces, and watches. If you’ve lost a ring or other metal object, contact John! You can find him here: https://theringfinders.com/John.Favano/
GOTTA DO IT: OFF-ISLAND TREATS! Everybody has their on-island favorites, but Cape May County is blessed with many off-island treats as well! Here are a variety of favorites to check out when you’re looking for nearby options to escape the crowds, or to try while on your way to or from the shore!
- Mama Mia’s, 4 Roosevelt Boulevard, Marmora. Excellent dine-in Italian cuisine, as well as takeout. Reservations required for dine-in.
- Giuseppes Gourmet, 108 Route 50, Seaville. Great takeout ranging from pizza and hoagies to gourmet entrees.
- Tuckahoe Ice Cream, 1971 Route 50, Tuckahoe. Ice cream cones, milkshakes, and sundaes!
- Frog Hollow Donuts, 104 Route 50. Donuts and cinnamon buns Wednesday through Sunday.
- Dino’s Diner, 33 Route 50, Seaville. Breafast, lunch, and dinner options all day long.
- Woodland Village, 1943 Route 9, Clermont. An eclectic mix of shops featuring treats, bagels, clothing, toys, and more.
- Avalon Golf Club, 1510 Route 9, Cape May Court House. Play golf or have lunch overlooking the course.
- Cape May County Zoo, 707 Route 9 North, Cape May Court House. An incredible collection of animals including zebras, bears, monkeys, birds, elk, and bison. It’s free! (Donations are greatly appreciated!
- The Bellevue Tavern, 9 South Main Street, Cape May Court House. Local bar & tavern with great sandwiches and entrees.
- Historic Cold Spring Village, 720 Route 9, Cape May. Collection of historic buildings that bring Cape May County history to life.
- Naval Air Station Wildwood Museum, at Cape May Airport. Historic Hangar #1 houses a collection of vintage aircraft including a Grumman F-14 Tomcat.
- Flight Deck Diner, Cape May Airport. Enjoy breakfast or lunch at the airport, and maybe see a landing or takeoff!
- Five West Pub, 3729 Bayshore Road, North Cape May. Burgers, brick oven pizza, entrees, and craft beers. Outside seating is dog friendly, too!
- Harpoons on the Bay, 91 Beach Drive, North Cape May. Great bar fare, across the street from the Delaware Bay.
- Sunset Beach & The Grille, 502 Sunset Boulevard, Cape May. Picnic table-style dining as you watch the sun set over the concrete ship & Delaware Bay.
Have a favorite Cape May County spot, off-island or on-island? Please let me know what it is!
WHAT CAN I HELP YOU WITH? Whether you’re looking to buy or sell, need a contractor referral, or simply have a question, please call or email me!