Spring is here! Flowering trees and blue skies at Veteran’s Plaza are proof that warm weather is just around the corner!
2019 SEASON BEACH TAGS are available for purchase at preseason prices in both Avalon and Stone Harbor.
Avalon’s discounted season tags can be purchased by stopping at the Avalon tax collector’s office at Borough Hall, or by placing an order through the mail. Send your order (including a self-addressed stamped envelope, and a check for $23 per tag payable to the Borough of Avalon) prior to May 10th, 2019. You will receive a receipt for your purchase that can be exchanged for tags at the Beach Tag Booth at 30th Street & the beach upon your arrival in Avalon.
Stone Harbor’s discounted season tags can be purchased for $23 at the Borough Hall Reception Desk Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 3pm for the rest of this month. If you’re not in town tags can be ordered; simply click this link and follow the instructions: https://
Season tags will rise to $28 in both towns after May 31st.
BEACH TAGS FROM YESTERYEAR have proven to be quite popular as collectibles. Often found in antique shops and online auctions, vintage tags are popular as mementos of vacations gone by as well as with those building collections. A search of ebay, for example, yields a variety of beach tags both for sale and recently sold–often at surprising prices. Do you have a vintage beach tag buried in a drawer? It’s worth checking!
Searching ebay usually results in a variety of vintage Avalon & Stone Harbor beach tags for sale as well as recently sold!
A MAJOR FIRE erupted in Sea Isle City on Easter Sunday, destroying four residential units. The Sea Isle City Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Strathmere, Ocean View, Seaville, and Avalon. One Sea Isle firefighter suffered minor injuries at the blaze. See video and a report from 6ABC Action News in Philadelphia here: https://6abc.com/
A ROOSTER has taken up residence near the Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary, as reported by Ted Greenberg of NBC10 News in Philadelphia. According to the report the rooster showed up unexpectedly–and he’s not the first. Check out the video here: https://www.
SMOKING ON BEACHES was banned statewide earlier this year. A provision in the law gave municipalities the option to designate up to 15% of their beaches as smoking areas, but Avalon, Stone Harbor, and Sea Isle City have chosen not to do so.
SUPPORT BRENDAN’S FUND at two great events coming up soon! Celebrate Cinco De Mayo! Sunday May 5th, 2019 from 12 noon to 3pm at the Taco Shop at the Cape May County Airport at 1288 Hornet Rd. On May 10th the 14th Annual Golf Tournament Supporting Brendan’s Fund takes place at Stone Harbor Golf Club. (Registration begins at 10:30am; Tee Time is 12 noon, Awards Dinner at 5 PM.) All net proceeds will benefit the Brendan Borek Endowed Fund at CHOP. For more Information on these and other events go to www.brendansfund.org or call 609-967-0100.
THE WETLANDS INSTITUTE AND ORSTED US OFFSHORE WIND have announced a partnership in the “ReTURN the Favor NJ” project to support the recovery of the horseshoe crab population. According to a press release horseshoe crabs are often turned upside down by waves, or trapped by man made hazards. The ReTURN the Favor project trains volunteers to free stranded horseshoe crabs, allowing breeding age crabs to return to the population. Since horseshoe crabs don’t reach sexual maturity until 10 years of age, conservation efforts help to boost the population. Horseshoe crab eggs serve as a food source for migratory birds, and a substance in horseshoe crab blood is vital to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Apple Computer, IPad & iPhone Drop in Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, April 27
- Art Workshop, Make a Gourd Birdhouse, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3PM, Saturday, April 27
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca & the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday April 27
- Stone Harbor Merchant’s Spring Sidewalk Sale, downtown Stone Harbor, 10AM-5PM, Saturday, May 4
- Stone Harbor’s Spring Tide Festival & Boat Show, 96th Street business district, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, May 4
- Author Talk by Dr. Jeffrey M. Dorwart, Professor Emeritus at Rutgers University, ‘Cape May County, NJ – the Making of An American Resort Community’, Avalon Free Public Library, 1PM-2PM, Saturday, May 4
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce Wine & Spirits Festival, Avalon Community Hall, 6:30PM, Friday, May 10
- Avalon Yard Sale, town-wide, map pick-up at Avalon Community Hall at 8AM, sale is from 9AM-3PM, Saturday, May 11
- Avalon Fire Department Hoagie Sale, beginning at 10AM, Saturday, May 11
- Garden Club of Stone Harbor Plant & Bake Sale, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 8AM-2PM on Saturday, May 11 & 8AM-Noon on Sunday, May 12
- Stone Harbor Police Department Building Dedication, 11:30AM-2:30PM, Friday, May 17
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, 8AM-2PM, Saturday, May 18
- Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, Wetlands Institute, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday, May 18 & Sunday, May 19
- War at the Shore Touch Football Tournament, 9AM-5PM, Saturday, May 25
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, Noon-12:30PM, Saturday, May 25
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, Water Tower parking lot, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 26
- Stone Harbor Turtle Trot 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 96th Street & the beach, 6:45AM registration, 8AM race, 8:05 fun walk, Sunday, May 26
- Matthew Mullin Memorial 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 30th Street beach, 8:30AM, Sunday, May 2
153 83rd Street, Rear #2, Stone Harbor, $549,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187309
153 83rd Street, #C, Stone Harbor, $699,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187316
258 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $879,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187319
1127 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $899,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187343
237 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187259
121 27th Street, Avalon, $2,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187265
112 115th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,195,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187311
4718 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $6,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 187306
Properties Under Contract:
233 235 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $465,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185081
225 52nd Street, Avalon, $1,324,950, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186855
553 21st Street, Avalon, $1,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185866
1670 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,460,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184044
10415 Golden Gate Drive, Stone Harbor, $3,900,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186118
4810 Fifth Avenue, Avalon, $6,200,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 186961
1114 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $600,000, SOLD MLS#: 185858
259 20th Street, Avalon, $720,000, SOLD MLS#: 181982
229 81st Street, Stone Harbor, $895,000, SOLD MLS#: 186226
248 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,337,500, SOLD MLS#: 184769
265 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,744,600, SOLD MLS#: 185768
10 W. 21st Street, Avalon, $1,900,000, SOLD MLS#: 183924
2405 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $2,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 183180
56 E. 17th Street, Avalon, $3,360,000, SOLD MLS#: 185662